Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do YOU clean your pleated filter cartridges?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do YOU clean your pleated filter cartridges?

I am looking for a more efficient way to clean my filter cartridges. I have the type cartridge that has what appears to be a PVC pipe center, drilled full of holes, which prevents me from spraying from the inside~out. That leaves me with trying to wash from the top down, on the outside, eventually forcing some tiny debris into the inner side of the filter element.

I've got granulated "filter wash" acid, that I'm hesitant to use as directed (put in a trash bag, add water, put filter in, shake,.. yeah right). I've seen the liquid acid wash in the spray bottle that you spray onto the filter, let it set, then rinse off. Spraying atomized acid for me to get in my eyes/nose/throat/lungs.... again, yeah right.

At $80 each, I don't see myself constantly buying new filters. I've got two now, one to swap in when I take one out to clean.

Time to find a better way. What say ye?
    "The Lake" - 42'x18'x52" Vinyl AGP @ approx 23,000 gal.
    500lb Hayward S310T Sand Filter and Waterway FC125 Cartridge Filter
    2hp - 2 speed pump (110v, 14.4a high, 4.4a low) TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How do YOU clean your pleated filter cartridges?

You don't want to use an acid cleaner unless there is calcium scaling on the filter, and even then you should do the overnight soak I describe below before using acid. 95% of the time the best thing is a hose spray. For deeper cleaning once in a while you can spray normally, then soak the cartridge overnight in a mixture of one cup of automatic dish washing detergent for every five gallons of water, then spray again to remove all the soap, and replace in the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I use a waterwand to get out most of the dirt and flies. Then soak in a special canister for filters I bought online. Then rince again, let it dry and swap with my other filter when nessicary.
    I didn't have a normal nozzle for gardenhose, otherwise I might not have bought the wand. However, it does the trick, although sometimes it's difficult to reach every fold. That's when I use my finger (with a plastic glove). Just been doing this for 1 month, but so far I like it
    Sunspa Monaco in the garden since March 2011.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    For deeper cleaning once in a while you can spray normally, then soak the cartridge overnight in a mixture of one cup of automatic dish washing detergent for every five gallons of water, then spray again to remove all the soap, and replace in the filter.
    That sounds like a plan to me. Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    http://www.unicelfilters.com/retailers/ci_chlorine_users.asp
    Thanks for the link!