New Pool with 1st Test Results -- need help!

An hour later...FC/CC test results are:

FC: 13.5
CC: .5
TC: 14.5

So we dropped 1.0 in an hour. We'll be calling it a night soon, so should we add more bleach before going to bed? Not sure if it's best to make FC higher (around 18 or so) in case we lose 1ppm/hour overnight. At our current level/rate, we'd be below shock level in the AM.

Thoughts?

Good Morning!

Wow - what a world of difference this morning - you can see the bottom of the pool!!! Color still green, but SO much better than yesterday. Before going to bed last night we added another 200 oz of bleach trying to get FC levels up around 20. Well, it stayed high overnight and did not lose as much as I expected.

Morning Test Results:

FC: 26
CC: > .5 (barely turned the slightest hue of pink when added R-0003 back in)
TC: 26ish

I will not add more bleach at this point. I know the pH test can be thrown off with FC this high, so won't worry about that right now either. Should I be adding additional CYA or trying to raise TA at all today? I'll have my husband post some pictures this morning as well!!

Thanks again - it really helped the day start out right by seeing the bottom of the pool!! :)

Pics as of 8:30 AM

Attachments

• IMG_5516.JPG
    IMG_5516.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5517.JPG
    IMG_5517.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 36
Water is looking great - and can tell because our lights are making it through the water tonight! yay :)

Test Results as of 9:30pm:

FC: 16.5
CC: .5 or less
TC: 17ish

TA: 80
CYA: 20

Should I try to bring my CYA up at this point or wait until FC comes down a bit more? My first thoughts are to not add bleach tonight before going to bed, but I'll rely on the experts to see if I should add just a bit more to elevate levels just a bit. TA is right in the middle of the SWG range, but thoughts on raising that level too? I did not do a pH test because results would be skewed bc FC is so high.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much again - it's so much nicer walking out to a cleaner looking pool than the mess we had 2 days ago! :) I can feel that we are almost there and should be swimming soon!!

Sorry I missed this, but next step would be to pass the overnight FC loss test. Also, while the pool is at shock level you should avoid keeping the solar cover on. You may have asked previously if it was OK to add bleach with the cover on and it is, but once you are at shock level, it is best to pull the cover off :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the tip! We've only been putting the cover on at night, but we'll start leaving it off for now!

Test results this morning are same as last night.

FC: 16.5
CC: > .5

Hopefully sun will bring FC down a bit too today. Will keep you posted with pics later!

Made it through the overnight FC loss test and actually went swimming today - woo!!! :) Have been leaving the cover off as well, and I think that along with people in the pool, helped bring the FC down to almost normal levels. We'll do the overnight FC loss test again this evening just to confirm, but I think we are almost there and start getting all of the levels within normal range.

Test results as of 9:00pm tonight

FC: 7
CC: > .5
TC: 7.5ish

pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CYA: less than 20

Few more questions:
1) I added CYA a few nights ago and it still does not seem to be rising. I want to make sure I am reading the test result right - in the test tube the water does get cloudy, but I have always been able to faintly see the black dot. Will it completely disappear or will there always be a trace of it at the bottom of the tube?

2) Should I add more CYA or wait a couple more days to see if it registers?

3) Do I need to lower my TA now down to 80? And at the same time raise my pH a bit since it's on the low end of the range for vinyl with SWG?

I will turn the SWG back on tomorrow after testing to make sure the FC does not drop too much and stays around the 4 - 5ppm range.

Thanks so much again for all of the help! I will get around to posting pictures soon to show how nice and clear the water is :)

1. It will completely disappear......give it another few days.

2. See above. CYA can take a week to register on the test.

3. Leave TA and pH alone. They're practically perfect.

When you added the CYA, What did you calculate the end result would be....30ppm? 50ppm? How did you introduce it into the pool?

We've added about 4 lbs, maybe a bit more, of stabalizer. Our end goal, according to the reccomended levels for us is between 70 - 80. We added the stabalizer by putting in nylons and then placing it in the skimmer.

Should our end goal be 70? I'll test again in a few days and see what it registers at.

Thanks for the tips on reading the test results - that one certainly is the tricky one!

[attachment=0:2lax8xcu]Ready to swim in.JPG[/attachment:2lax8xcu]

Attachments

• Ready to swim in.JPG
    Ready to swim in.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.