I have been the pool store route

Jun 15, 2011
I have above ground pool 24'x52" , I think 12,500 gal. I have been the pool store route , water never cleared up .It went to a brown color! I ve been reading threads on BBB ,,ok for the past five evenings I have been adding bleach 6% . Ive probably added around 18gals. The water is like bluish and cloudy , so Im making progress ! Question is what do I do now ? In the beginning I added about 1/2 gallon muratic acid. I think I pobably need more . I bought a sand filter w/1&1/2 hp motor benn running it non-stop.
TH 1000
FC 0
PH 8.4
TA 120 /180
CYA maybe 10
So please advise me . I surely will appreciate it
ruby1115

Welcome to TFP!

Start by lowering your PH down to around 7.2 to 7.4. You should never let PH get above 7.8.

You should also raise CYA to around 40 to 50. With CYA as low as it is right now you will be losing most of your chlorine to sunlight each day.

From your description you have most or all of the algae dead and are mostly waiting for the filter to finish cleaning up the water. As long as the water continues to look better each day you are on the right track.

Look Im sorry if I stepped on toes I have never used this site , and if I did something wrong tell me how to fix it !!!!
So do I keep using bleach on a daily basis ? And if so could you tell me about how much ?
Thanks ruby1115

I'm not sure what makes you think you stepped on anyone's toes (you haven't). What you need to do next is to go into Pool School and read and understand some of the basic articles there. "ABC's of Pool water Chemistry is a good start." Then, read "how to shock your pool.

Your first step should be to get the pH down as Jason suggested. Post back when that is done.

How can you be tired of following the pool store advice already? It's only the middle of June! :p

If you want to be free of their evil influence, you'll need information. The two places to get that are: Pool School; and your own, proper, test kit. With the facts, you can let Pool Calculatordo the number-crunching and add what it says to add. Just that easy.

If you're getting test results from the pool store, they'll have the opportunity to whisper in your ear while their hands are deep in your wallet. If you are using test strips, you're not much better off, except the colorful displays aren't right there tempting you to buy snake oils.

My advice: order a test kit, adjust pH, and start reading.

Hi Ruby and welcome to the forum :wave:

To help things along, it will be good if you add your pool and equipment specs in your signature.

Go to User Control Panel (top left, under TFP logo), select Profile, the Edit Sig. :)

Hi Ruby. It sounds like you are doing great so far. Yes, do keep adding bleach. You're getting good advice here to use the pool calculator web site to determine how much bleach, CYA, and muriatic acid to add.

I suppose the other thing to mention is to keep an eye on the psi reading on your sand filter, and do a backwash when the psi gets too high (as in, more than 10 psi over what it reads after a backwash). Of course, you likely already know that from reading pool school.

Hang in there... these guys and gals are great at helping out. Many of them have been where you are and understand exactly what you're going through. You've gotten great advice already. Get started on their suggestions and post back how things are going.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your soon to be clear pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.