Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frequency of adding Bleach and shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Frequency of adding Bleach and shocking

Question, with BBB, is adding bleach a daily ritual? I am trying to understand how much I would need if I were in a maintain mode of say 4.0 with a 40 cya on a 10K gallon pool? My concern is my work schedule where I may miss 1 possibly 2 days of adding. Also when adding can folks swim. Got kids that like to swim at night. Lastly can non chlorine shock be used or is that taboo. Chlorinator has me spoiled but now I am convinced my 3 algae fights last season were due to chlorine around 3 and CYA around 100 where pucks and acid took me to.
    Also when shocking to shock level how long does it take to dissipate, right now the dichlor is out in about a day, but will bleach go if CYA is lower? I think yes, but not sure
    My Fears if I screw up

Shrinking liner
    Bleaching Bathing suits (already took neighbors spray tan and highlights out with a 4.5 level)
    effect on pool equipment.

TF100 kit in the mail, other going back after reading all reviews/recomendations.
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frequency of adding Bleach and shocking

Adding bleach will PROBABLY be a daily ritual. There are ways around it, the Liquidator, salt water pool, or chlorine injection systems.

I would not recommend a non-chlorine shock.

You still keep CYA around 40 with bleach, so no change there. Bleach won't add more CYA like the dichlor will.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes bleach is a daily ritual. If u use a solar cover you can dose a little higher and cover and it should be ok when u r gone. Add the bleach after evryone is done swimming. Leave the pump running for at least an hour.
    Thereis no effect on pool equipment. Once in your water, all forms of chlorine do the same thing. I highly doubt that level had anything to do with highlights or spray tan unless they were done that day.
    Non chlorine shock is an expensive and unneccessary product.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not sure if this will help you with your pool, but for my pool with a Cya of 50, I add almost a 184 oz jug every 2 days. My fc goes up to 8ppm and is usually at 4ppm when I add bleach again. Pool is in full sun, very light bather load....As far as shocking, with a high quality test kit, you are able to know what's going on with your water at any time and in combination with the pool calculator. You can make any necessary adjustments to avoid having to routinely shock your pool!
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Daily or every other day to add bleach.

If you keep the FC level up, you may never need to shock.

Dichlor is good to have around if you need to replenish CYA due to splashout. I wouldn't use it as my normal source of chlorine. You've seen what high CYA can do, so no need for me to go into gory detail.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I add almost a 184 oz jug every 2 days. My fc goes up to 8ppm and is usually at 4ppm when I add bleach again

Rob N, does the 8 ppm bother swimmers? How high can you go before it is dangerous or takes on whitening characteristics on suits and such?
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is there no one else at your house that can add bleach, it is not exactly rocket science. After a bit of time you can estimate your seasonal daily rate and only test a couple of times per week.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

I add bleach twice a week...CYA is 60, I bring the level up to 10-12ppm, and it drops to 5/6ppm by the next "pool cleaning day" (add bleach, run pool cleaner, hose off cartridge filter, add water) It's been working for a few months now, and my 5 kids swim at LEAST once a day. I check after a hard rain too though so sometimes I add a little extra in between pool days.
    IG Plaster 20,000gal, attached spa w/ spillover, hayward C12002 cart filter, 1 1/2hp pump w/ polaris 360
    6/16/12 - PH 7.6, FC 6, CC 0, CYA 30, TA 80, Calcium 310

9. Back To Top    #9

I've not had problems with suits getting wrecked any faster than normal.....my kids don't rinse them either. Each kid goes thru 2-3 suits a season (March-Nov here in FL.) I don't think that is too bad for as much as they swim (and wrestle in the pool and yank on each others suits, LOL)
    IG Plaster 20,000gal, attached spa w/ spillover, hayward C12002 cart filter, 1 1/2hp pump w/ polaris 360
    6/16/12 - PH 7.6, FC 6, CC 0, CYA 30, TA 80, Calcium 310

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by rjg202
    I add almost a 184 oz jug every 2 days. My fc goes up to 8ppm and is usually at 4ppm when I add bleach again

Rob N, does the 8 ppm bother swimmers? How high can you go before it is dangerous or takes on whitening characteristics on suits and such?
    No problems whatsoever, no chlorine smell, no eye burning and no bleached out swim suits. The water feels great and looks crystal clear and sparkly!!!!
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ROB N

No problems whatsoever, no chlorine smell, no eye burning and no bleached out swim suits. The water feels great and looks crystal clear and sparkly!!!!

Me too, I keep my FC at 8 since my cya is 70ish, we have had no issues and the pool is sparkling.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Good advice above from some people that have a very good grasp of what BBB is all about. I chlorinate every 2 days by adding about 4-5ppm to my pool.....keeps it in a 4-8 range with a CYA of 50ppm
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks, much more comfortable. Only issue is local walmart is clean out of bleach and borax, hmm wonder why, they were even out of the 12 lb bags of baking soda. My TF100 will be in tomorrow, thanks again. I have been doing massive amounts of reading on this site and got a lot of insight from a good community.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks, much more comfortable. Only issue is local walmart is clean out of bleach and borax, hmm wonder why, they were even out of the 12 lb bags of baking soda. My TF100 will be in tomorrow, thanks again. I have been doing massive amounts of reading on this site and got a lot of insight from a good community.
    My Wal-mart has been out-of-stock on the large GV bleach my last two visits. Fortunately, the FLPS across the street has 12% LC @ $9/2.5gal carboy. $4 deposit on the carboy is refundable. Cost is almost identical and less lugging, no bottles.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

15. Back To Top    #15

I have a large L around 30k gallons. How much bleach would
    I use?

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jodys
    I have a large L around 30k gallons. How much bleach would
    I use?
    That depends on the CYA level of your water.

Start in

Once you get the relationship, you can set a target and let pool calculator crunch the numbers.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!