Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Pardon my ignorance in this matter but...

Is a skimmer weir door hinged at the top or the bottom?

Wha???? do i hear you guys laughing?! :lol:

The only problem is, I dont have a door at all... my skimmer has/had many missing parts... it didn't even have a basket in it when i brought the house!

OK, I won't pick on you.

It hinges on the bottom (at least all the in-ground pools I have seen do). Mine had a little plastic strip that slipped into a slot and was then held there by a few screws. Alternatively, they sell replacement doors that are are spring-loaded, so the bottom is held in place by friction with the sides of skimmer. Those are pretty cheap, although I also found the door to be a little flimsy.

Bama Rambler said:
Bottom. It floats just under the surface when the water is flowing across it to create a faster surface flow so the floating debris is drawn into it .

Well, you learn something new every day. I always thought the door was just to prevent basket goop from floating back into the pool when the pump is off. Interesting.

So, now I'm thinking, does it make a huge difference how high up the skimmer face the water is (i.e. if the water level is very high or low up the face of the skimmer, will the flow across the door be affected one way or the other)?

rcy said:
So, now I'm thinking, does it make a huge difference how high up the skimmer face the water is (i.e. if the water level is very high or low up the face of the skimmer, will the flow across the door be affected one way or the other)?
As far as the flow across the weir, unless it gets very high (above the opening) or very low (below where the weir can move) it really doesn't affect it much. What usually happens, is that when the water level gets low, the pump will pull water fast enough through the skimmer to create a vortex and suck in air. Raising the level an inch or two will usually prevent that from happening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.