First part of Chlorine test

phatocaster

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2011
Wilmington, N.C.
I filled the tube to the 25ml line and put in 2 dippers of R0870. It did NOT turn pink. From my understanding that determines that I have no free chlorine. Thats why my pool is green....LOL....Anyway. Having a 14500 gallon pool above ground pool I should be shooting for 5 ppm of FC. According to the calculator I need to add 150 oz of 6% bleach to my pool. I am assuming there is no reason to go on from here until I get some reading of free chlorine first. Am I correct on the assumption? Should I add the whole 182oz jug of bleach to shock the pool and take a reading tomorrow a.m? :?: I am also assuming that since the first part of the chlorine test didnt turn pink the rest of the chlorine test will not register correctly also. Please be patient with me. I am trying to do this right from the beginning. Please respond in idiot terms :roll: Thanks

I would say don't bother finishing the cc portion of the test.

Your pool is 13,500 gallons. What is your CYA level? This determines how high your FC needs to be to reach shock level.

You should test within an hour or so after adding the first dose to see if its registering and if you reached shock level. If you didn't, recalculate and add more, testing and adding hourly, until you do reach your shock level. Don't wait until tomorrow to test. You can do the cc portion of the test after the first dose has been added and you are testing after 1 hour.

If you post a full set of results we can offer further advise. :)

Technical note if you are interested: Every once in a while the FAS-DPD chlorine test will give a false zero result. This is very uncommon, but not unheard of. To be through it is good to use the simpler OTO chlorine test to double check and make sure there really isn't any chlorine. When the OTO test remains clear, there really isn't any chlorine in the water.

I would add two large jugs of the 6% and then test it in an hour or two. If your FC is not 12, then recalculate with the pool calc, putting the then current test result in the "now" and 12 in the "target" and determine how much to add then.

13,500 because the water level is really only about 4 ft deep.

oto test results are shades of yellow.... :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Went back out this am and tested water. FC 3.6 pH 8.0 TA 100 CH appears to be around 80. CYA I would estimate at around 20/25. I could still see dot when tube was completely full.I am really color blind so I will have my son check behind me this evening. Pool is no longer green. Now it Blue and cloudy. So looking at the calculator I need to add 39oz of bleach. 14oz of Muriatic acid. Is that what you guys recommend? Thanks everyone. My color blindness hinders me with some of the test. Unfortunately I am most color blind in red green and blue...LOL...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.