Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First part of Chlorine test

1. Back To Top    #1

First part of Chlorine test

I filled the tube to the 25ml line and put in 2 dippers of R0870. It did NOT turn pink. From my understanding that determines that I have no free chlorine. Thats why my pool is green....LOL....Anyway. Having a 14500 gallon pool above ground pool I should be shooting for 5 ppm of FC. According to the calculator I need to add 150 oz of 6% bleach to my pool. I am assuming there is no reason to go on from here until I get some reading of free chlorine first. Am I correct on the assumption? Should I add the whole 182oz jug of bleach to shock the pool and take a reading tomorrow a.m? I am also assuming that since the first part of the chlorine test didnt turn pink the rest of the chlorine test will not register correctly also. Please be patient with me. I am trying to do this right from the beginning. Please respond in idiot terms Thanks
    Pool size- 24 ft Round. 13500 gal Above Ground. Filter- Sand 25 GPM, Pump- 1.5 HP/ 70 GPM.
    K2006 FAS-DPD Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First part of Chlorine test

Since your pool is green, it's time to shock your pool.
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You are going to need your CYA level as well to determine the proper shock level, and also you'll need it to determine your normal level when you are done with the shock process.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would say don't bother finishing the cc portion of the test.

Your pool is 13,500 gallons. What is your CYA level? This determines how high your FC needs to be to reach shock level.

You should test within an hour or so after adding the first dose to see if its registering and if you reached shock level. If you didn't, recalculate and add more, testing and adding hourly, until you do reach your shock level. Don't wait until tomorrow to test. You can do the cc portion of the test after the first dose has been added and you are testing after 1 hour.

If you post a full set of results we can offer further advise.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

ok...did the CYA level test. I filled the small tube slowly. It filled completely to the top and I could still see the dot. It was very small but I could still see it. So I would say it is probably in the 20 to 15 range.
    Pool size- 24 ft Round. 13500 gal Above Ground. Filter- Sand 25 GPM, Pump- 1.5 HP/ 70 GPM.
    K2006 FAS-DPD Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Technical note if you are interested: Every once in a while the FAS-DPD chlorine test will give a false zero result. This is very uncommon, but not unheard of. To be through it is good to use the simpler OTO chlorine test to double check and make sure there really isn't any chlorine. When the OTO test remains clear, there really isn't any chlorine in the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

OK...Sorry everyone. Still learning here. My pool is 24 ft round and 52" deep at the water line. That would make it 14500 from calculations....Correct? Also what is OTO test. Is that test strips?
    K2006 FAS-DPD Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

The oto test is the yellow block test tube thats attached to the PH tester.

I have the same size pool. 13,500

Your shock level is 12.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

8. Back To Top    #8

OTO is the little plastic test with two square tubes at each end where you compare varying colors of red. But if your pool is green...
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I would add two large jugs of the 6% and then test it in an hour or two. If your FC is not 12, then recalculate with the pool calc, putting the then current test result in the "now" and 12 in the "target" and determine how much to add then.

13,500 because the water level is really only about 4 ft deep.

oto test results are shades of yellow....

10. Back To Top    #10

The tube should only be filled to the 10ml line and 1 heaping scoop should be enough.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

11. Back To Top    #11

Went back out this am and tested water. FC 3.6 pH 8.0 TA 100 CH appears to be around 80. CYA I would estimate at around 20/25. I could still see dot when tube was completely full.I am really color blind so I will have my son check behind me this evening. Pool is no longer green. Now it Blue and cloudy. So looking at the calculator I need to add 39oz of bleach. 14oz of Muriatic acid. Is that what you guys recommend? Thanks everyone. My color blindness hinders me with some of the test. Unfortunately I am most color blind in red green and blue...LOL...
    K2006 FAS-DPD Test Kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

yesterday the R0870 wouldn't hardly dissolve. It would just clot in the bottom or the tube. This am is dissolved and behaved itself.
    K2006 FAS-DPD Test Kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

If you can still see the black dot, assume CYA is 10 or less. I would adjust your PH to 7.4 and begin the shocking process described here

pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator