SWG with high mineral content water?

Apr 24, 2011
I am beginning a massive remodel to my house, and for reasons of drainage and grading I am beginning with block retaining walls and the pool. I definitely want to use a SWG, but the people I talk to are attemptng to steer me away from using a salt water generator. My city (Sierra Madre, Ca.) draws it's water from wells at the base of the San Gabriel mountains, and it has a very high mineral content. I am advised that the minerals, in conjunction with the SWG add up to very short life for the pool equipment. They said to expect 2,000 hours for the generator, and for the heater to last 2 to 4 years before it has to be replaced. My main advisor has been building high end pools for 30 years, and we were roommates in the past...he's not making a buck on my project, but is letting me use his crew, and also his wholesale accounts, so I know he has my best interest at heart. He says the vendor reps that he deals with don't know why this is occuring. Does anybody else out there have similar, or opposite experience in dealing with SWG's and high mineral content water? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

I'm not familiar with your particular area, but such things certainly can be partly true if your fill water CH levels are high enough. Even so, it is possible to manage with a SWG at much higher CH levels that most people manage if you know a few tricks are are willing to pay attention to your pool every day or install a PH regulation system. In many places it is also possible to get reverse osmosis treatments to bring down the CH level and essentially eliminate the problem.

The CH level alone does not determine how likely scaling is, but rather the combination of PH, TA, CH, and several other levels. By lowering PH and TA you can compensate for high CH levels up to a point. The effects on a SWG can also be minimized by using borates.

Do you know what your fill water CH levels are?

Welcome to TFP!

As Jason said, you can manage a pool with high fill water CH levels by making adjustments in other modifiable areas. Start out by checking the CH and TA of your fill water. That will let you know what you are dealing with to start. Also, keep in mind that these values can change depending on time of year. Anyway, you have come to the right place because we can all help you maintain things with these types of circumstances. :goodjob:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is CH?
I'll get the fill water testrd and report back.
Thanks!
Oh..even though these are my first posts, I have been lurking for quite some time. Great site, nice people.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.