Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA dropping - add stabilizer w/ pucks?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA dropping - add stabilizer w/ pucks?

This is a new gunite pool. I don't have my test kit yet, but it should be here any day now.

On Saturday the pool store tested my water and said it was:
    Chlorine - 5.0
    ph 7.9 (they had my add one pint of muratic)
    hardness 350
    alkalinity 80
    cya 55

Today they tested it and said:
    Total Clorine .7
    Free Clorine 0
    ph 7.3
    harness 344
    alkalinity 58
    cya 28

Over the weekend we had lots of swimmers and I added some water because of splashout, but not lots. Should I add stabilizer to the water? I'm using pucks for chlorine. The pool store recommended I add 4 lbs of stabilizer now.

My chlorine at 0 is obviously a concern. I'm going to shock with bleach. But why would it be at 0 with the automatic chlorinater and pucks?
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA dropping - add stabilizer w/ pucks?

The pool store is notorious for giving bad CYA numbers. I wouldn't add any right now unless you are using a salt water chlorine generator. You need to add some liquid chlorine (clorox) immediately, and a good test kit would be extremely beneficial to you.

By the way, the temps and sun we are having right now is burning off chlorine FAST.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just added 182 oz. of 6% bleach and added 100 oz. of baking soda. I also turned the clorinator dial from 3 to 5.

Hopefully the mailman will have my test kit tomorrow.
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by texasdad
    But why would it be at 0 with the automatic chlorinater and pucks?
    Because you are losing your FC faster than the slowly dissolving tablets are giving you. You need to shock and use bleach to accomplish this. Bleach is immediately available all at once and that makes it good for this purpose.

If you haven't already, please order a decent test kit from www.tftestkits.net. You pool depends on your ability to do your own testing and for it to be suitably accurate.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    By the way, the temps and sun we are having right now is burning off chlorine FAST.
    Been cold and cloudy here. Good news, FC is steady.
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The Fed-Ex driver dropped off the Taylor k-2006 today.

Results I got are:
    FC 3.0
    PH 7.6
    TA 130
    CYA 50

I'll redo all of the tests later today to double check, this is my first time for a few of the tests and I wasn't certain on the CYA...... How often do you check the CYA; the test kit only has enough for 3 tests?
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

7. Back To Top    #7

You can pour the CYA mix back into the bottle and redo the test several times to compare.

Also, here's instructions w/a visual from Taylor that helps us. Scroll to bottom for pics:
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

When you post back w/test results, please be sure to include your CC# from your FC test & CH #.

How old/new is your pool?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

You can order your refills from http://tftestkits.net

Get a bigger bottle of CYA reagent. You can refill the tiny one by prying the tip out, if you want to keep it all tidy in its little box.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by texasdad
    ... Taylor k-2006 today.
    Results I got are:
    FC 3.0
    PH 7.6
    TA 130
    CYA 50
    I'll redo all of the tests later today to double check, this is my first time for a few of the tests and I wasn't certain on the CYA...... How often do you check the CYA; the test kit only has enough for 3 tests?
    It can take up to a week to register any increases in CYA so the weekly check makes sense.

Keep the CYA/Chlorine chart handy (as in your kit) http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock. It'll show you the minimum chlorine levels and the shock levels for the various CYA levels... and, it's in Pool School !

With a CYA of 50 your FC should be between 4 and 6. I tend to run slightly higher chlorine levels as there are always 4-6 sweaty teens playing water-polo in the pool and we never have the "chlorine smell" !

Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!