A new (almost) pool owner! So excited

May 13, 2009
Mn
Finally, after 2 years of battling our HOA, I got word a few moments ago that we can have an above ground pool!

So here are the details - let me know what you think...
24' round 54" deep, Steel walls, resin top seats - Diamond Star by Wilbar
A frame ladder
26" sand filter
1.5 HP pump
mini tabs, vac pole, maint. kit

I went with the basic package after reading everything here so that I don't have stuff I don't really need. I'm nervous, but it should be fine. We'll order a solar cover and automatic cleaner on-line.

Anything I need right away other than bleach, muratic acid, baking soda, borax, a good test kit? Oh yeah, and some pro team metal out.

Except for some CYA, that's about it. :goodjob:

As was mentioned, you can use trablets until you get to the CYA level you desire, but you don't have to go this way. You can add CYA separately and go with bleach from the onset.

Are you filling from a well? What makes you think that you need a sequestrant, unless of course you are already certain that you are going to have a metal problem?

We have city water, but it is pulled from wells. Our water is very hard and has lots of iron in it - for city water...the average is 1.72ppm but I will call the city to see which well they are pulling from before we fill. One well is 2.43 ppm the other is 1.007. I would love it to be the 1.007, but they trade off which well to pull from.

I'm just a little nervous because my fish tank has been a disaster, until I started buying water from the store. I could have the water trucked in which I still may do. It costs about 900.00. I have to see if chemicals plus my 450.00 city water usage bill is going to be less expensive or not. Would be nice to have everything ready from the get go!

Thanks everyone! We are super excited. This is truly my life long dream come true. I can remember being a little kid about 6-7 going through the T.V guide telling my mom and dad we could get a pool for 300.00. I even had the perfect place picked out in our yard. Fast forward, my husband and I moved only 1/2 mile down the road from our old house so we'd have a better lot to have a pool on. We even checked the covenants before hand...that said we could have one with approval. Who would have thought it would take YEARS to approve something that is allowed anyway!

We ended up having to fence in the area (4 feet away) AROUND the pool due to the insurance company and the city inspectors requirements. It ended up costing us a ton more money than we wanted to spend, but since we changed from an oval to a round, it sort of canceled each other out. We went with a 3 rail alumium style. For what it's worth, I did find a TAN fence to go around the top of a pool if anyone is interested!

I think it will give me a little more peace knowing my kids can't really get up and close next to the pool. We'll still have a gated entry system at the stairs, but a kid would have to climb the 54 inch fence, then climb the pool walls in order to get into the pool. Not saying it couldn't happen...

We will have a motion activated camera system (sends a message to our Iphones), and a pool alarm. We just have too many little kids in our neighborhood. They aren't usually at our home, but water tends to be a magnet.

My husband was joking telling me I should call a DIY show and tell them I'm going to do this all myself before he gets home from his trip! He's so worried about me using a sod cutter. No I'm not installing it, a company is, but we want to get rid of the sod so the dirt can be used elsewhere in the yard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.