Handling Muriatic Acid

Aug 10, 2009
Pearland, TX
I usually use Dry Acid (which can be expensive) to lower the Ph in my pool because Muriatic Acid (which is easier to find) gives me the Hebe-Gebes. My biggest concern is how to measure the acid and then store the partial bottle.

What type of measuring containers can be used with Muriatic acid. I'm assuming that glass will work, but are there any plastics that can be used?

How long can you store Muriatic and what are the dangers of off gassing once you have broken the seal under the lid (and, yes, the lid is screwed on tight).

Thanks

Frank

21' AGP
Pentair Sand Filter

I use a plastic measuring cup I got at WalMart years ago, it works fine. Fumes aren't an issue if the lid is on tight. Fumes are a big issue when you upcap and pour. Only do this in an outside area and be aware of wind direction, you don't want it blowing in your face. I keep my acid in a shead but I would keep it in the garage if an outside shead isn't available.

Ok, Thanks. I was not sure if the Muriatic would disolve plastic (which would have been embarassing and dangerous).

I keep my pool supplies in an outside shed that is very well venitlated so I guess the fumes wont be a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Frank

I had the heebie jeebies about muriatic acid too. Been using it this season (have had pool for 6 years). It's great! So much cheaper. One gallon cost me $6 and lasts a month. Lots of rain this year which has been messing with my pH.

I too use a 2cup plastic measuring cup. (I initially used an old metal cup...bad idea, but what the heck did I know!) I handle it armed for bear. I use my old, scratched shooting glasses to protect my eyes, Playtex gloves to protect the hands and arms, AND I make sure I have my rubber boots on. Yeah, yeah....overkill I'm sure. But I'm a safety girl!

Hope this helps!

Eye protection is a lot more important that gloves. Acid on your hand can itch, or if you have a cut it will burn, but doesn't normally cause any serious damage. Acid in your eyes can blind you permanently.

I used it this year as well- believe me, the containers will have spill proof, child proof caps. That stuff is NASTY though! I used a plastic measuring cup and it worked just fine. I agree with the comments about eye protection- very important. Have fun!

I've gotten MA on my hands before. It just felt kinda warm. The real danger when handling MA is, as Jason said, getting it in your eye(s). Real damage would be done in that case. It will also damage certain surfaces so be careful with it on the deck.

You definitely need to be careful with this stuff on deck surfaces, not to mention the obvious heath risks. I spilled a little bit on the grout line on my tile deck while pouring it into a measuring cup. I didn't notice it until a few minutes later. It burned up quite a bit of the grout that I had to fix later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.