Going CLOUDY!! HELP!!

westc

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2011
Abilene, KS
This same thing happened to me last year and the pool store ripped me for a mint!! My pool started looking a tad cloudy on Monday, no today (Wednesday) its so cloudy you can't see the main drain. FC - 4.2 TC - 4.3 PH - 7.5 Alk - 110 (pool store values concurred). What is the deal??? Please Help!! My son's Birthday/swim party is right around the corner!!!!

do you have a full test kit for measuring your FC, and CC and also the CYA? The TC seems funny by being higher than the FC number...
let us know what you have available to test with... Pool store is less than ideal but better than nothing.... I recommend the kits from TFT mentioned in my signature

what source are you using for chlorine? Add your pool specs to your signature such as mine so everyone knows what your working with

Thanks
Dan

I do have a full test kit...I have the Taylor K-2006 and the Color Q Pro 7. I didn't have all the figures written down and with me. I use 3" chlorine tabs in the feeder and lithium shock.

You're probably at the beginnings of an algae outbreak. Time to hit the bleach! In the mean time, post a full set of results and everyone here will have you sparkly in no time!!! (Btw, TC = FC + CC, so TC may in fact be higher than FC if you have CC)
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Good luck!!

I can tell you right now the pool is ripping you one for the lithium shock. That stuff is expensive, and not necessary. We need the CYA numbers, and as many other accurate numbers as you can provide. Those tablets will raise your CYA, and it's possible your FC has fallen below where it needs to be for your CYA level and allowed algae to grow. The best advice I can give for now is to perform an overnight chlorine loss test as outlined in Pool School.

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

That will tell us if you have organics in the pool.

Make sure you're running your pump/filter 24/7 for now. That will help while clearing the water. I concur with the lithium shock statement - LOTS of money when bleach (liquid chlorine) or cal-hypo will do. The pool can clear in time for son's party. Stick with the bleach BUT MAKE SURE THE PUCKS ARE OUT OF THE CHLORINATOR before adding the bleach to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard to say without knowing CYA level. If your CYA is 100, you'll need around 10-12 gallons to get to shock level. The store brand stuff will work, just read the label and make sure it's 6% and not something around 3%. If you end up needing to shock, this'll get you there, and give you time to go get more bleach (you'll need it by morning). If this is the case and you DO need to shock, be sure and read up on the shock process in Pool School. This is all speculation, we will know more when you have your full, accurate, test numbers.

Hold on the bleach and the OCLT. Test your water first so we know what to suggest.

The OCLT is not needed yet because your water is so cloudy....we are almost SURE something is brewing.

Secondly, no need to put the chlorine in if you are going to have to drain 50% of your pool water to get the CYA manageable.

Don't use the algaecide.

So your CYA is 90. Now you have to decide if you want to work with that level or drain some water as Dave stated. A number around 40 would be far more manageable to shock with, but that's going to require replacing over half your water.

Do you not have the FAS test for chlorine? You really need it for the shock process. This is the one where you add DPD powder, then add drops until the pink changes to clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.