Finally got my test kit and the results are in!

May 29, 2011
Harleton, Texas
After a HUGE headache and issues with Fed-ex I finally got my test kit today! Here are the results.

FC 1.5
CC 0
TC 3
pH 7.8
TA 370
CH 10
CYA 10

I have a 20x48 above ground pool with a cartridge filter and a SWG (which also gives me a huge headache). It holds about 7900g of water. What do I need to start out fixing first?

Thanks!

~danielle~

First you need to lower your pH to about 7.2. That will in turn bring your TA down some. Then each time your pH rises to about 7.6 lower it again and soon your TA will be down in the recommended range. Also re-run your TA test wiping the tip of the R-0009 bottle with a damp cloth between drops.

Let's fix something. Your FC is 1.5 and your CC is zero? Therefore your TC can't be 3! FC + CC = TC. How are you getting those numbers? Did you use the OTO kit and it looked like 3? If so don't worry about that. Use the FAS-DPD test till you get things worked out.

Next you should bring your CYA up to about 70 and your FC up to 3 ppm. You can go ahead and raise your FC now with bleach.

Yes I looked at the OTO (I assume that's the one with the pH and cholorine tests together) and it _looked_ like a 3. Those are the ones I used to use when I worked as a lifeguard!

I thought the numbers didn't add up, but I just wrote them down as I "tested" them :)

To bring the CYA up, I need stablizer, is that correct? I can buy this at walmart or do I need to go to the pool store?

Thanks again for the help. My alkalinity has been super high from the start it seems! We've put in almost 2 gal of muriatic acid since we opened the pool a little over a montha go!

I'll get some bleach this afternoon and raise the FC up to 3!

~danielle~

Total Alkalinity is still high!

Ok so I've been working my pool the last 2/3 weeks with the new testing kit and my alkalinity is still high!

FC:4
CC:0
TC:4
pH:7.5
TA:260
CH:0
CYA:70

I have an 20x48 above ground "My sunshine" pool with a SWG running about 4 hours a day, with the regular pump running about 6. I've lowered my pH to 7.2 and let it go back up and then dropped it down with murautic acid 3 times now (total of about 2 bottle of acid). What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to get my TA down? Also what do I need to get to bring my CH up? My pool has been MUCH easier to keep and we haven't had any alegae or cloudy water since I've gotten the new kit and maintained my pool better. Thanks!

Danielle
Jefferson, Tx

Ok good to know about the CH and I'll just keep on keeping on with lowering me TA!! Everything else looks good. Thanks so much for all the help, this awesome website, the pool calculator (which is my very best friend) and the awesome test kit! I'm enjoying my pool :)

~danielle~

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.