got sand in the pool

Jun 7, 2010
Had a horrible opening at the start of the year(memorial day crappy weather in Wi)... alot of the debri feel off my winter covers back in the pool.. shocked and have been running pump pretty much no stop... some how I got sand in the pool ... have been vacuuming out... I think my internal piping in the sand filter is broken... I bought new sand (current is about 2 years old) so tonight Im going to take it all apart and inspect.... put new sand in.... my question is once i have the new sand in ...and I start vacuuming the sand in the pool will it fill up my filter... I tried a sock in the skimmer basket.. but didn't work.. didn't allow alot of water back to the pump.. starved it of water... any thoughts.. I hope I explained it correctly.. thanks scott..

I don't fully understand your question, but I'll give it my best shot.

You can put a sock in front of a return to determine if the sand is coming out of the filter or not.

You should not need new sand.

I will say when I had that problem, it was worst at start-up. You might want to turn your pump off for a few hours, then go out and hold the sock in front of the return while someone else fires up the pump.

See.. .when I was vacuuming all the leaves out.. Thats when I noticed that I had sand at the bottom of the pool... so alot of sand went with the leaves in the garbage.... so I know I probably 10-20lbs less than the orginal amount .. so my question is ...after I add the new sand to the filter...( I know I still have some sand to vacuum up.. because I believe when I was vacuuming it was going through the pump .. through the filter and right back in the pool..so) .... when I vac the pool to get the sand out..will it go in the filter and actually get more sand in the filter....so hard to explain

got it....inside the filter the bottom where the 8 tubes screw into was completly split down the side.. 2 pipe clamps and some gorilla super glue did the trick.. now just have to get a replacement part ..... when does the fun start.. ??? hehe

If it's just the standpipe sometimes documentation will state use x-inches of schd 40 PVC. Check to see if the part you need to replace has any special fittings/threads and if not you might get off lucky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.