Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: turnover quesiton

1. Back To Top    #1

Clifton Park, NY

turnover quesiton

I have read mas985's article on water flow. I just do not get it. My pool specs are in my signature. I am trying to determine how many times I should turn over my pool daily. I see everything from 1 to 3. I am estimating my turnover time to be 5.5 hours. The problem I run into is the flow rate. I do not know it. Short of buying a flow rate meter and puttining it inline, are there any assumptions I can make based upon my equipment. (1.5" piping as well).
    20,000 Ga. IG vinyl, Hayward Star-Clear 1200 filter (max flow 120GPM), Lite 2 Heater (min flow 40GPM, Max 125GPM)
    Pump is GE 1081 equivalent. 1HP. (label is faded and I can not make out anything else.). It runs at 120volts.
    1.5" piping

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: turnover quesiton

You really don't need to know your flow rate. But since you've estimated your turnover time as 5½ hrs then just start by running your pump that long and see if the water stays clear. You can then increase or reduce your run time if you'd like to or need to. One turnover per day is usually good enough to keep the pool clear.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit