Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above Ground Pool Losing Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Above Ground Pool Losing Water

Hi all, my pool is losing a couple of inches of water per day! I just opened it last week. After taking off the cover I did notice the water level was extremely low.

I don't see any water anywhere so I suspect it's leaking out on the floor of the pool and directly going into the ground.

I'm so bummed. I'm not even certain of next steps.

I have zero experience with this so before I get the pool company over here I thought I'd check in to see what my alternatives would be if any.

I'm not certain how old the liner is either, my house is a rental however, I rent from relatives so I can find out the age.

Thanks!
    15,500 gal above ground vinyl pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above Ground Pool Losing Water

How far down was the water when you opened? Looking around the pool about that level would be a good place to start. If it was about the level of the skimmer or return I'd look at those too. Otherwise look closely around the wall for a damp spot.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

around March/April the pool cover partially came off during a windstorm (I live in CT) and this is when I noticed there was only about 5 inches in the pool!

so my guess is it was slowly losing water all winter long and I had no idea.

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's not the bottom it's real close. I'd start looking at the seam around the bottom.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

yes, it would appear it's at the bottom (or close) so I guess I should start draining? try to see if I can find the leak and possibly patch myself.

6. Back To Top    #6

You actually don't need to drain it to find or patch it. You can patch a leak under water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

OK....how does that work? I have ZERO experience. How do I even find the leak?
    please note the pool is not crystal clear, it was on its way but I stopped running the filter because of the daily water loss. How in the heck do I find the leak? The water is now approx 1 inch below the skimmer.

8. Back To Top    #8

Start by looking around the outside wall for a damp spot, then concentrate on that spot inside if you find one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

it hasn't rained in a few days. There are no damp spots. I've been out there twice today just looking....and nothing. I'm going to go out again, and really look however, I just can't seem to find a thing!

10. Back To Top    #10

IF you can't find anything at all then you're left with either clearing the water enough to see the bottom well or draining and inspecting it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

that is the plan, drain the water a bit, check for leaks, if none found, drain a little more. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. Tina