Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valve Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Valve Question

Ok - hopefully an easy question - I have a main drain line and a skimmer drain line that come together just before entering the basket. My drain valves were buried outside of the pumphouse. I have found one of them, but I'm not sure if it's for the skimmer or main drain. Still looking for the other one. The valve looks like a regular old garden hose type gate valve - the righty tighty, lefty loosy type - except is has an S and an O on it. I'm assuming that for Shut and Open. If the O is at 12 o'clock the S is at 3 or 4 o'clock on top of the handle. If I spin it right, it will just go forever, so I think it's a ball valve. Those usually have a handle that lines up with the pipe or goes perpendicular to the pipe when closed, and also a stop so that you know when you've turned it to all the way open or all the way closed. Can anyone tell me what kind of valve this is and how I can know for sure if it's opened or closed?
    12' rnd 3500 gal AG Zodiak Waterways Hi-Flo 48 1.5 HP Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Copperas Cove, Texas

Re: Valve Question

I think the best way to get a correct answer is to post a picture of the valve. Pictures are worth 1000 words.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Valve Question

Like Mark said, A pic would help a lot.

Standard gate valves have an "S" and an "O" on the handles but they usually have an arrow near them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit