New guy, checking in!

usafssk

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2011
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Hi Y'all!

New pool owner in South Mississippi, learning the hard way that I should have educated myself before diving in! Looks like a great community and I look forward to becoming a productive member of the family.

Just installed a 42'x18'x52" Vinyl AGP that was started with Pristine Blue (PB). Three months into it, haven't gotten to swim in it yet! Local Pool Store (LPS), though very friendly, has sold my wife over $1k in PB and various other chemicals that simply doesn't seem to have a positive effect on the pool. LPS uses the electronic water testing system that seems to me to be more of a electronic sales person for stuff I don't need. Frustrated, I have taken over the position of pool-meister, and am attempting to apply what I am learning here on TFP!

I stopped in at my local "Dibs" Chemical Supply store to buy some bulk 12.5%, only to find that they have a small selection of pool supplies. Welcome suprise to me! They also do water testing using the Taylor K-2005 kit. Brought them a sample this morning to get an idea of where I currently stand in my PB-to-BBB conversion and here's what I have learned:

Chlorine = .5 (didn't specify FC/CC/TC and forgot to ask)
pH = 7.6
Alk = 90
CH = 110
CYA = 40

Suggestion was made to add 3lbs granulated chlorine, and 7lbs Calcium Chloride.

Considering that I took over poolboy duties last weekend and started with a nasty green pool, I think I'm atleast heading in the right direction. So far I have nixed the use of PB chems, added approx 1.5lb granulated dichlor daily, floating three trichlor pucks in a floater (tied to remain in the output jet's stream), and have added 1/3g muriatic and 4oz floc, one time each. I have gone from thick green to having 2' clear visibility, and can just make out the outline of the dipnet when it's sitting on bottom. Water color is now sky blue. Pump runs on low 24/7, except when I shut it down to do a light filter rinse then run on full for a few minutes after to stir things up.

How am I doing so far? lol.

You're heading in the right direction but aren't quite there yet. It's time to take the pucks out and use the liquid you have. You don't want your CYA getting much higher than it is now. Especially while trying to shock the pool.

You also need your own test kit. The K-2005 kit that they used is a good kit but it doesn't have the FAS-DPD kit that you need. You'll have to have that to shock properly and to run the OCLT which you'll need to do.

If you bought the calcium, that's fine but you don't need it in a vinyl pool.

Bama Rambler said:
You don't want your CYA getting much higher than it is now.
Agreed. I just happened to have them on hand, and only have maybe 3 pucks left. The three currently in the floater are 3/4 dissovled at this point.

Bama Rambler said:
You also need your own test kit. The K-2005 kit that they used is a good kit but it doesn't have the FAS-DPD kit that you need. You'll have to have that to shock properly and to run the OCLT which you'll need to do.
Looking to get a TF100, that seems to be the favored kit, am I correct?

Bama Rambler said:
If you bought the calcium, that's fine but you don't need it in a vinyl pool.
LOL, my wife was sold a 25lb tub of it. I was away for the last two months and when I came home, I had to shake my head to that one. I'm just learning about most of this, but that one still makes me want to say "really? Really!?".

At this point, I haven't bought anything. I'm still shopping around for local prices for liquid chlorine. I would rather buy in a bulk container so that I don't create a mountain of empty bleach jugs. Dibs has 12.5% in 15g tote tanks for $67. I don't remember where I wrote down the math, but I think I decided $4.50/g and still verifying if that's the better way to go versus what looks like an average $2/g for 5-6% household jugs. I can atleast reuse the 15g totes.

If they're 3/4th's dissolved just leave them in there till they're gone.

Yep, the TF-100 is the best. I recommend the Speedstir but it's strickly an option.

Like I said, if you already have it there's no harm in it.

Using what I pay for 6% the 15 gal tote would be a few cents more expensive unless part of that cost is a core charge for the tote.

Last minute change of mind... since the CH was really low (and doesn't matter in a vinyl pool) I opted for a 50# tub of granulated 68% Cal-Hypo. Price seemed right at $90 ($1.80/lb) vs $4.50ish a gal for 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite liquid.

Already have buyers remorse, after going through the process of pre-dissolving in a bucket of pool water and doing the slow-pour dance over the jet. Thinking I should have skipped the calcium and gone with the liquid. Live and learn, I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.