Pump Run Time

May 26, 2011
Monmouth NJ
Hello all,

Question on the optimal run time for my pump. I just replaced a 3 year old Hayward Superpump with an Intelliflo VF, so far VERY HAPPY. Sound difference alone was almost worth it.

I have the pump setup and running for 24 hours to turn once. Pump is running at 27gpm, will need to confirm RPM, and is buring low 400's on watts. Our electricity per kw is ~$.17, so not overly concerned about electric, but do want to extract some savings on this pump.

Was curious what run times other seasonal users have with their intelliflows or dual speeds? I read that the longer you run the pump the more efficient from a energy stand point, but do not want to over run the motor and shorten the life. Obviously if I shorten the run time the rpms/GPMs and Watts will all increase.

What are others running at?

I assume running 24/7 will shorten the life of the motor.

I have found that if you can find a multible timer..run several hours during the day&several during the night..work's well..I have run mine at night only..ok..but it seem's to be a little dirty..I have mine running 24 now because the water look's so much better..

JasonLion said:
The IntelliFlo is usually most efficient when run at about 900 to 1000 RPM. What RPM are you running at?

I believe it is running in the 1200 to 1500 range, will confirm tonight.

I assume that if It is in the 1200-1500 range and I ran it below it at 900 to 1000 rpm it would not turn 1x in 24 hours, would that be a problem?

Is running the pump 24/7 going to shorten the life?

I want the power savings, but if I am replacing the motor in 3-5 years it may not be worth it, and may make since to run less time per day.

Correct, with a 40,000 gallon pool you need 27 GPM to get one turnover in 24 hours. You may or may not actually need a whole turnover each 24 hours. One turnover is a good rule of thumb, but actual requirements vary with water temperature, bather load, and the amount of debris that falls into the pool from trees etc.

Running the pump 24/7 isn't an issue. Keeping the pump relatively dry and out of the sun will affect it's lifetime far more than how much you run it each day.

That very helpful, thank you.

On your suggestion for keeping dry and not exposed. My equipment sits level ~15 feet from the pool edge on two concrete slabs but is fully exposed.

Are the small covers the sit on the pump worth anything? It seems I would need to take on and off to get to the controls?

Otherwise I would most likely need to build a structure around the equipment.

Thanks again for the insight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.