Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks City of Houston

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks City of Houston

So, if you call before you put in a pool and request a new water meter, have it installed by a city approved contractor, have it inspected and pay for a permit, the City will not charge you for sewage.
    I did not
    Current Charges
    WATER CHARGE 308.29
    SEWER CHARGE 316.58

Total Amount Due
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa
    Houston, Texas -- It's a 105 in the shade.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks City of Houston

Did you request a waiver of the sewer charge because you were filling a pool? Some places (and people) will allow you to do that one time even without a separate meter.

I wouldn't complain to much. I bet it'd cost more than $300 to install a new meter and get a permit so you may be better off the way it is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have an irrigation system, it is worth it. I save a ton on my bills because there's no sewer charge for my water used for the pool and irrigation. It isn't uncommon for me to use 25,000 gallons on the yard and pool, last year when I had a pool leak and was watering 3 days a week I could use 45,000 gallons and my water bill was only around $200.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

We're in Houston...we got a letter from the city last summer that they had discontinued the break on your bill for filling a pool. I don't know how the new meter would come into play though...does it actually separate out water from sewer?
    Cliff

16x26 AGP
    Jacuzzi DE Filter
    1HP 2-SP Hayward

5. Back To Top    #5

This is exactly why I put in a separate "irrigation" meter. They just finished installing it this week. $140 bucks and for what they had to do to get it put in it was a steal. They had to bore across the street, and hand dig the trenching b/c the gas line was very close to where they sited the new meter to be. 6 guys all day long, plus a bunch of equipment.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

6. Back To Top    #6

Good news for me, pool builder is having to drain the pool to polish the surface!
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa

7. Back To Top    #7

So, are you having the irrigation meter put in before you have to refill it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Did not have a chance to do it.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTexan
    We're in Houston...we got a letter from the city last summer that they had discontinued the break on your bill for filling a pool. I don't know how the new meter would come into play though...does it actually separate out water from sewer?
    It is all the same water, just one meter doesn't get billed for sewer. It can make a drastic difference if you use a lot of water.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!