Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG problem

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG problem

Long timer reader, first time poster. Thanks for all the info so far.

Converting to salt:
    I thought my pool was 25K gallons or so, based on previous chemical effects
    Aquacheck strip said 500 to start.
    I added 15 40# bags.
    Aquacheck strip said 4430!

That would make my pool 18.5K gallons. I must have done the test wrong, but hard to screw up a strip test like that.

Anywho...
    Pool store says 3400, Cell says 2600.
    I turn it on and diagnostics say 26.27V 6A 83F 2600PPM.
    It then shuts itself off saying low-salt.

I had previously cleaned the cell using a water hose to get various chunks out and yesterday I did a 4:1 water/muratic acid soak.

This is a used cell I bought from a pool builder switching to some "natural" system. I also got the rest of my automation stuff from her at a very reasonable price. I don't think she sold me a busted cell, but it did sit on my deck for 6 months while I did other pool improvements.

I'm taking the cell into the pool store today to have it checked. Is there anything else I should do?
    The rest of my chemistry is pretty good.
    Ph 7.6
    FC 9
    CC 0
    TA 95 (Thanks post-resurface pool guy!)
    CYA 100 (Thanks post-resurface pool guy!)
    24k gallon IG, Stonescape Tahoe Blue, Hayward Super II pump with 2 speed motor, giant sand filter (zeobrite), PS-8 w/ Aqua-pod2 remote. SWG. Austin, TX.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG problem

NOt much wrong there except you should work on getting that CYA down to about 70 or 80.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Check what salt level the SWG says it has 24 hours after you cleaned the cell. If the cleaning was important to do, the salt level reading will go up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I checked it this morning (about 12 hours after cleaning) and the salt level was about the same 2600-2700.
    I watched as I turned it on, the salt level was initially around 3400 and fell quickly as the rest of the numbers changed as well. I tried setting the salt level via "instant salt" while it was high, to see if that would reset something, but no dice.

I've got it out now to take to the store after work.
    24k gallon IG, Stonescape Tahoe Blue, Hayward Super II pump with 2 speed motor, giant sand filter (zeobrite), PS-8 w/ Aqua-pod2 remote. SWG. Austin, TX.

5. Back To Top    #5

The cell passed the store check. They tested my water again, this time 3900. I tested with aquacheck strips and got 4000, so that seems reasonable.

Plugged the cell in at home and it has now been running for 12 hours or so. Salt level says 3000, it seems doing the "instant salt" when I turned it on the day before at 3400 maybe helped a little.

Given murphys law it should be working fine, I stopped at the store and picked up 12x bleach jugs on the way home, expecting to have to sick with BBB for a little while longer

Thanks for the help!