Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Handrail position center or offset?

1. Back To Top    #1

Handrail position center or offset?

One of the options I chose for my pool is a handrail for the 8 foot 4 steps in the shallow end. This handrail can be best described as what Snoopy's profile looks like. My neighbor positioned his to the side of the steps and my PB insists that centering the handrail is the way to go (i.e. the point of the hand rail is to be able to use it in the middle). I see both my neigher and my PB point on this issue, but wanted to hear what others have done or would do. My reasoning for wanting it on the side is that the kids like to sit on the steps and kick their legs and make splashes. With the handrail in the center it makes for more of an obstacle. On the side it still allows wanting to use the handrail a means to do so.

FYI I am pretty sure this is the kind of handrail where the two posts mount on my concrete pad outside of the pool and the lower bar is straight and not the longer hand rail I have also seen where it dips down almost into the water but both pegs are still set in the concrete.

My pool dig started today. They got the entire earth moved and steel walls up in less than a full days work so I am more than happy at the moment!
    PB scheduled for June 2011...
    18 x 36 Steel Wall Vinyl 23K gallon (8 foot hopper), Hayward 4820 DE Filter, Hayward 1HP Super Pump, Hayward 250K BTU NG heater.
    Western Pennsylvania

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Handrail position center or offset?

I prefer center mounted hand rails for wide steps and side mounted handrails for narrower steps. Center mount requires wide steps so there is enough room for a reasonably large person on either side of the rail.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Handrail position center or offset?

what about either doing 1 rail in the center, or one on each side..?

[ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]