Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The boric acid is in the water!

1. Back To Top    #1

The boric acid is in the water!

Hey folks .... finally added my 55 lb pail of boric acid. First test results:

TC: 11.5
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.2 (dropped from 7.5, I am going to leave it alone and let it rise on its own)
    TA: 70
    CH: 20
    CYA: 40
    Borate: 30-50 (hard to tell with strip, it is likely around 43+- since the pool calculator has proven to be very accurate thus far )

The water does look 'sparkling' and it is definitely clearer than I have seen before. I also get that squeaky clean feeling on my hand. I am seriously excited!

Should I force up the PH or leave it?
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The boric acid is in the water!

I've been thinking about trying this myself. Where did you get the boric acid?
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Since you are in Houston I can recommend to go get a 55 lb bag at AAA chemicals. It was 70$ and that amount should be about perfect for your pool size. I did it and I am very pleased with the result.
    You will want to call in advance - the place can seem a little disorganized if you just show up and ask to buy a bag....
    22000 gallon IGP, 820 sqft, SWG - IC60, infinity edge spa, Pentair Quad DE 100, 3 x Pentair Intelliflow 4x160 pumps (one for circulation + one for spa + one for sheer descents), spa with 8 jets + 4 leg jets, air blower, Pentair EasyTouch 8 remote, Pentair Intellibrites LED (white) - 2 in pool and 1 in spa, Pentair Master Temp 400,000 btu heater, 4 sheer descents (2x2', 2x6'), limestone coping and decking, Pebblesheen Prism Blue

Useful links:
    Pool Chemistry
    Chlorine reactions

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Should I force up the PH or leave it?
    Leave it. Most pools tend to rise somewhat on their own. Perhaps check pH a little more frequently for a couple of weeks but I think you'll see it in the mid 7's soon enough.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The boric acid is in the water!

@wood I bought it from dudadiesel online. It was about $100 with shipping ($70 +30 to ship).
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BigJD
    @wood I bought it from dudadiesel online. It was about $100 with shipping ($70 +30 to ship).
    i bought it there as well. 55lbs + 25lbs. added 70lbs of it last weekend and 1 box of borax. now i have 15lbs of boric acid for future refills.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

7. Back To Top    #7

Suggestion for price. I just bought 10 boxes of Mule Team (47.5 lbs) on soap.com for $49.50, free shipping. 12 boxes would give you 57 lbs for $59.40. They also have a "5 faves" feature. You pick 5 items as your favorites and you get 10% off those 5 things forever. If there aren't more expensive items you want to "favorite", you can get 57 lbs for $53.46.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Deb04
    Suggestion for price. I just bought 10 boxes of Mule Team (47.5 lbs) on soap.com for $49.50, free shipping. 12 boxes would give you 57 lbs for $59.40. They also have a "5 faves" feature. You pick 5 items as your favorites and you get 10% off those 5 things forever. If there aren't more expensive items you want to "favorite", you can get 57 lbs for $53.46.
    When using Borax, you also have to account for the muriatic acid that will need to be added at the same time.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    When using Borax, you also have to account for the muriatic acid that will need to be added at the same time.
    Good point. I didn't calculate that in.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

You poured acid in your pool? And you let kids in there? I'll bet you're one of those crazies who pours bleach in their pool, too!

Permasalt
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!