Need Help with New Motor Wiring

Jun 12, 2011
Need Help with Motor Replacement Electrical Wires

I am replacing my pool motor. I followed an online tuturial and was able to remove the old motor get the new one on. Now all I have to do it hook the wiring up. But I want to be 110% sure of the hookups. Can someone advise what wires go to what terminals?

Thanks

I do know the green is the ground.

Attachments

• 2011-06-14 19.51.45.jpg
    2011-06-14 19.51.45.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 2011-06-14 19.52.51.jpg
    2011-06-14 19.52.51.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 2011-06-14 19.52.57.jpg
    2011-06-14 19.52.57.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 169
Re: Need Help with Motor Replacement Electrical Wires

On you motor will be a wiring diagram actually. You simply follow the directions in it. Motors can be wired either high or low volt ( 240-110). Determine what your old motor was wired by either using a multimeter on your wire ends ( it's ac...no need to worry about polarity) or have a look at the wiring diagram on your old motor. To switch between high or low on them is a matter of moving one wire from one terminal to another. It'll be colour coded on the diagram ( Just an example and this may not reflect this new motor of yours: b/wtracer on terminal 3 for high volt or b/wtracer on terminal 4 for low). Your two big posts/terminals are for your load. If you have three wires, one being green, the black and the white are your loads ( I see that yours are not coded normally). They can go on either motor load terminal. Green goes to your ground screw, located off to the side just under the cover. Some motors come factory wired high volt ( should be a tag or card inside that states that if it is) and you'll need to read that motor diagram to move the right internal wire onto the correct terminal ( all colour coded and numbered) of you have 110 volts on the motor circuit. Some motors, like replacements from Hayward have a plastic terminal block you move to the appropriate slot, no tools required.
Bottom line: Find out your pump circuit voltage first, consult the motor diagram, determine if you need to change the motor's current internal wiring on the board and then hook up your ground and loads.

Is this a 120 or 220 volt motor- or what brand and model.

If it's 220 it does not matter which wire goes to each terminal as they are both hot - and then ground for safety.

If it;s 120 volt normally you have green (ground), black load (hot), and white (neutral)

Is there a link to the manual.

Here are some additional pics from the motor. I still want to be sure i hook the correct wires to the correct terminals. Motor is 230v.

Questions:

1. Where do I hook the black wire that is hanging from the pump motor?

2. Where do I hook the blue wire?

3. Where do I hook the red/black wire? Do you think the black wire connected to the red wire in one of the pics is from the old pump? Or is this all one wire?

Attachments

• off pump 1.JPG
    off pump 1.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 139
  • off pump 2.JPG
    off pump 2.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 138
  • off pump 3.JPG
    off pump 3.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 138
I read somewhere that blue = high and red= low and black=common, but whats throwing me off is:
1. there is a black wire attached to the red wire
2. there is a black wire hanging from the motor.

why can't anything be straight forward with this Dang pool

Assuming you want to wire the pump to use the speed switch that came with the pump: The green ground wire from the conduit goes to the green screw in the top right of your picture. One of the two hot wires (red or blue from the conduit) goes to terminal #1 on the pump (which is the one closest to the ground screw that doesn't currently have anything connected to it. The other hot wire (from the conduit) goes to the black wire coming out of the pump that currently has a plastic cap on it.

Ok so the black wire that is currently hanging from the wire that go into the motor (see pics above) is probably from the old motor.

thanks so much for all you advice, i need to get this green pool clear by 4th of july lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.