Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first day of construction....WOW

1. Back To Top    #1

first day of construction....WOW

they dug the hole, rebarred it, and rough plumbing all today.

question, i was under the impression that our pb was using all 2" pipes, but the rough plumbing pipes for the skimmers and jets are all 1 1/2". is this standard?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first day of construction....WOW

correction, my skimmers have 2" rough plumbing, but all the return jets and bubblers are 1 1/2". is this ok?

3. Back To Top    #3

That should be fine, particularly if there are several pipes running in each direction. Many builders simply go all 2" these days, but it doesn't make nearly as much difference on the returns as it does on the suction lines, and running several pipes in each direction is equivalent to running a single larger pipe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Good evening! We find that the best way to plumb a pool is to have volume going to the pump (2") and velocity returning to the pool (1.5"). This lowers the RPMs on the pump and provides great water movement in the pool. I hope you have a great build! Matt Miller, CBP Hilltop Pools- Atlanta, Ga
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 34,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the replies. there are a lot of return jets. my double deep end drain and the 2 skimmers appear to be the only 2" pipes. i assume all the 1 1/2" return pipes will tie into a larger 2" pipe when the plumbing is complete?

6. Back To Top    #6

Ideally you want each skimmer, drain, and return pipe running back to the equipment pad. Not all builders to that, and it can still be fine, especially with many returns, as long as there is still more than one pipe in each direction coming back to the equipment pad. The more the pipes combine into one near the pool, the more important it is to use larger pipes once they have combined.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

they're guniting as i type this. does the process usually go this fast? i'm not complaining.

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

When all the sub-contractors schedules line up, a pool can go together in a week or less start to finish. Of course, it is far more common for things to drag on for weeks with bursts of activity and then quiet periods.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    When all the sub-contractors schedules line up, a pool can go together in a week or less start to finish. Of course, it is far more common for things to drag on for weeks with bursts of activity and then quiet periods.
    Our build is an unfortunate example of this. We had about 6 days between gunite and plumbing, and about 18 between gunite and rock work. Builder was ready to roll, but most of the builders don't do much more than supervise, so they are at the mercy of shared subs.

HOPEFULLY, you won't experience that kind of a delay. Its too **** hot here in TX to be without a pool
    IG ~12,500 gallon, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Wetedge Luna Quartz plaster (Pacific/Aruba), Pool Pump: 1.0 HP Tristar by Hayward, Waterfall Pump: 1.0 HP Super II by Hayward

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag

Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

question about the gunite finish.....the guys worked up until 10 pm last night finishing. they had lights but it was still very dark. i noticed the walls and especially parts of the floor were very rough. are the plaster people responsible for smoothing this out before plaster is applied?

13. Back To Top    #13

Rough is good Plaster has something to adhere to and make it buttery smooth
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

well, i guess i jinxed myself. it's been almost a week since gunite and......nothing. i've been watering the gunite 5-6 times a day trying to keep it cool in this 100+ degree heat.

i assume the delay is to let the gunite cure?

15. Back To Top    #15

a little more progress....flagstone coping and waterfall. plumbing guys are out today.

16. Back To Top    #16

Things are moving quickly for you.
    Mine took just over five weeks. My PB did a great job.
    Congrats on the pool!
    Size 12,000 gal | Filtration Jandy 340 CL Cartridge | Sanitation Jandy 1400 AquaPure SWG | Placement In-ground Gunite | Finish Medium Gray Plaster | Automation Jandy Aqualink RS w/PDA6
    Pump Jandy 2.5hp 2 speed Stealth | Location New Orleans LA
    Heat Jandy EE2000t
    Test kit Taylor K-2006 (fas-dpd)

17. Back To Top    #17

got my equipment installed today

18. Back To Top    #18

decking framed and ready to pour peagravel deck today or tomorrow.

19. Back To Top    #19

we're putting flagstone on the steps

20. Back To Top    #20

i think they will probably apply the standard white plaster next week. the forecast is for highs around 100-102. should i be worried about applying plaster in this extreme heat? thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast