Leaking drain-new intex pool

Sammib

Jun 14, 2011
Hello, this is my first post.

We just purchased an intex 20' ultra pool. Reading the reviews on it, I decided tp buy it anyway, expecting there to be a leak that I would need to repair....ok, for a good size pool so cheap, what else do I want? Well guess what?? I have a leak....in the drain holes at that! It was poring out. I tried to patch around it, and got it now to where it is bairly dribbling. Like a small dribble arrises once a minute. I am ok with that if it stays at that, but I'm afraid once I get more then a foot of water, or get swimming, it will turn back into leaking bad again. I patched the inside around it and tried to seal around the drain itself. I did not use a patch for the outside, but I did use the repair glue around the outside seal. The dribble is arising out of the glue.
I took out a 2year warranty on it. I am hopping to get a season out of it, and have them replace the liner. If I send it back, the reviews said it could take up to 30 days to get. Pregnant here, summer is hot, and I want to swim the hot days, so by the time the replacement gets here, I will almost be done my pregnancy, and summer half over.

Anyway, any suggestions on fixing this? Is this tiny dribble ok? My only other option i can think of is some how patching the whole drain over both inside and out.

Please please help!
Thanks

I'd call Intex and tell them this sad sad story... Make sure to mention the pregnancy and the heat multiple times and act a bit more angry than your post suggests. They should send you a new liner without you having to take it down, a leak like that is unacceptable! You'll send it back, what are you going to do with the leaking liner anyway? Who wants one of those? Even as a spare? They should pay for you to send it back. That's stupid. The pool is new???

Is there more to this than I know about? You knew it would leak?

So confused!

Reading the reviews, many people said they had a leak. A few even said their drains leaked. So I kind of knew this could happen buying it. It was $499....cheep when it comes to pools, so I knew what I was up against. I cant spend a few thousand on a "real" pool.

The reviewers also told about their options from the manufacture. 1. Pack it back into that little box and bring it back to the store, get anotherone, yeah good luck with that. 2. Cut out a big chunk of the liner, send it to the manufacture and it could take up to 30 days to get a new one. 3. Patch it.

It's brand spankin new. I do agree it is not right to be selling a defective product. The company is apparently very good at making working it out, but the nature of the beast, we had almost a foot of well water in it, took half a day to get that. Glad i didn't have to pay for water....but it's not like "oh put it back in the box, take it back, boom you have a new one, lets play! I really hate to take out the rest of the water, take it down; it's quite a chore to put back up AGAIN. I would rather patch, get a summer out of it, then claim the faulty drain.

I know tons of people with intex with no problem. See if the store will let you just trade your liner for a new one. Save the hassle of returning the frame, etc.

It is definitely worth a phone call to the store you purchased it from.....We had 2 leaks in our first liner....I called the store and just spoke with someone on the floor..... was told I would have to take the whole thing down, pack it back in the box and return it....so, I went back out to do just that, trying to take apart the things I could while it was draining, when lo and behold I got to the ladder.....well, you can't take the steps back off the frame. Back into the house I went almost in tears (it was awfully hot outside on top of depressing), called the store and asked to speak to the manager. He patiently listened to the problem I was having, and I was very nice, then asked me what I really needed. When I told him I just needed a new liner, he said fine just bring the leaky one in and they would give me another one. He didn't even ask me to cut out the parts that were leaking. So... in the long run, it is definitely worth making a phone call or two.....especially since you are pregnant and you should definitely work that part! :)

Purchased 15'x48" Intex Round Metal Frame Pool June 3, 2011. Just discovered a leak on drain. Upon further inspection it is on the inside of drain itself. So irritated and wondering if we should try to patch it since Intex is closed for the day (tried calling and no live chat - GRRR!). Bought at Walmart - it's hot and grandson coming this weekend but wonder if I will forfeit any return if we do try a patch job??? How do they work on returns and any retribution on fees to refill? It's not even been up a month yet ...

Walmart will take anything back even if you used it (I inquired about a grill, asked if I used it and didn't like it could I bring it back. Yes was the answer). But walmart is also likely sold out of the 15x48 Intex pools by now.

If you want to try it, I'd make sure they have one in stock before you drain.

Called Intex today and there is 90 day warranty. Rep told me that my warranty would NOT be affected if we try to glue or patch the area. Hoping that's correct since I didn't think to have confirmation email sent (expect a long wait if you call). :? Also sent an email to Walmart and hoping for the same answer. We love the pool so far - even my disabled hubby has been joining us!

Hi everyone, I finally got my ground level and began the install on my 16x32 ultra frame. Same thing but different happened to us. We filled to about 1 foot and saw a puddle. I pushed on the pool to sorta lift it and saw water running, not gushing, but moving. It is nowhere near the drains. I tried the food coloring along a seam in the area I saw the water underneath. That didnt work! I guess it could be anywhere! This has been such a hard job, we have had the pool for a month before we even took it out of the box, because of unlevel ground. Renting all kinds of equipment to try to level, and then back breaking work, not to mention putting this big thing together!!! I don't know what to do at this point. I can't even put it back in the box, I don't have the box because the day it was delivered it was pouring out. We figured it was a pool, pools get wet, plus it was heavy so we left it outside until we had ground ready. It's just been such a labor of love/hate, ha ha ha!! Does anyone have any ideas what we try? Or should I just call Walmart? But I have no idea where the leak is. I bought it online at Walmart.com. $1499. And it's on sale now for $999.

When I fill mine I usually have water around the perimeter for the first day, then it disappears - I think it might be condensation, but it is not like I see beads of water on the outside of the pool, just on the ground - but I have it on cement, so I see it quicker than I would on grass. How sure are you it is actually a leak? One time I did get a leak on the vertical part of the wall -- could see it squirting out the side. It was easier to see in the dark, with a flashlight. If it is on the floor or way bottom of the side, that might not work though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Leaking new intex pool

Good morning crek31, at first that's what my husband thought. He took the leaf blower and blew the water off and put a towel under it, got it as dry as he could. We waited 10 mins and there was a puddle again. When I pushed it trying to see if the hole was right there it started running. But wouldn't it then be wet around the whole pool? It was only wet between the second and third supports on the side. I keep thinking that maybe we are wrong and it is condensation but what if it is a leak? I'd be worried that it is compromised and could split with people in it. Walmart said to sign a return agreement and they will send me a new one. UGHHHHH!! The headaches keep coming. I haven't yet read the return agreement attachment, but in the email they made it seem like I could use the box the new one comes in to send it back. I also assume its going to cost me a lot of $ to have someone pick it up and send it back "freight"! I will download the agreement when I get to my office, then I'll know more.

We had the same thing happen last year when we first got ours. With only an inch or so of water in it we started seeing large puddles underneath on one side of the pool. We searched and searched and couldn't find anything so I suspected it was the seam since it seemed like too much water for a pinhole. I called Intex figuring I would have to cut out part of my liner and send it back, but they didn't make me do that at all! They said since it was within 14 days of purchase they would just send a new one. All I had to do was scan and send a copy of my receipt and the delivery confirmation. But that new one was going to take a month to get to us! I was determined to find the leak, so I took the frame out of the pool and SLOWLY pulled back the bottom of the pool until I found where the water was coming from...a 1" slice on the bottom! I patched it up, dried everything good and tried again...MORE WATER! So I pulled it back again and found another 1" slice not too far from the other one. Patched that one up and voila...DRY! We set that same liner up this year with no issues, and now we have a spare one to boot for when this one wears out! Definitely give Intex a call about it!

Re: Leaking new intex pool

Hmmmm! I already called walmart, they are sending me a replacement for free. BUT I do have to send back the old one. They are sending some one to pick it up free of charge. I am just going to strap it up, as I know there is no way to repack it all in the same boxes. Did they just give you the liner? or did they send a complete package? I am not sure what I will be getting. I think they might be sending the whole thing as it looks like a whole new order for the same price. Also, they only refund difference in price (reg. vs sale price) if the item goes on sale with 7 days after purchase. SUX for me! It has taken 3 1/2-4 weeks getting ground ready. Have only been messing with the pool for 2 days but purchased it on 6/1/13 and it was delivered 6/7/13!! How ironic.... a new order was created for me today 7/1/13, I expect it will be delivered around the 8th since the 7th is a Sunday. I'm hoping. The expected date of arrival for the original order was between the 14th & 17th. Same thing this time....so fingers crossed!

We just had a replacement liner sent to us, not a whole new pool. That's fine though since the liner is typically what fails on these pools anyway.

Glad they are picking it up free for you, but it does suck about the price difference and more waiting! The waiting is the hardest part, especially when you've done all that prep work. That is why I was determined to find our leak once I knew I wasn't going to have to send anything back to them!

I lied in my last post! I actually generated a product return email with Walmart. I am going to call them though, I need to find out what is actually coming and what I actually need to send back. I will also push to get the refund of the difference in price. I am also hoping that they will see my point about how heavy it is and tell me I don't have to send it back and hopefully they are just sending the liner.

Woo hoo!!!! :party: They've decided to give us the difference in price!!! You go Walmart.com!!! :cheers: I am very pleased! If nothing else Walmart has excellent customer service. They also realize that it is not going to fit back in the box. They said to package it as best we can. This certainly makes up for some of the issues we have had. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.