How close does ground need to be even on the OUTSIDE of AGP?

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
Sigh, never, EVER have people do work while you're not home! Well, I had a retaining wall installed, and wanted a 2ft "gap" around the whole thing. The excavator put drain pipes in, and then ran them around and out to the ditch. Well, he went WAY to close. I told him repeatedly to make sure to go away from where the pool will be, but he didn't listen. So now I have a trench, where the drain pipe in, around half the pool area, and a retaining wall around the other half. My son and I went out and took at 12ft string (for a 24ft pool) We end up 8-10 inches from the wall, and about 4-5 inches from where the ground starts to slope for the drain ditch! I almost want to cry. So basically, I got 4-8 inches around the pool that is safe and flat. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Re: How close does ground need to be even on the OUTSIDE of

Man, sorry to hear about that. You may want to mull over legal action cause this could be pretty serious, I don't mean to get you upset but this contractor impacted your residence and assets perhaps significantly.
I'm in Ontario so different regulations but the municipal building dept wouldn't let me put my deck blocks a few inches from the top of my 8" high pool trench, I had to dig down where the blocks were to the same general plane of the trench...and that's "just" a deck block.

Don't know how you would determine the safety of this situation, perhaps you need an engineer's opinion of the site.
PS, keep track of your costs related to this.

If the contractor didn't do what you repeatedly asked for, they should rectify it. Have you paid them yet?

If not, retain payment till it's done right. If you have paid, time to get yourself some of those manly :!: :!: 's and tell them to re-do the job. That's ridiculous. 2 feet is a far cry from 4-8". Yeah... never allow anyone to work at your home when you're not there. Those who would cut corners or do shoddy work rely on such situations.

I once fired my cousin off my roof because he refused to stop jumping on the new composite roof in 95 degree weather gouging it all up (yes, I was up there too working just like he was). It was my new roof, I paid for it. Just because he did that at his customer's houses on their roofs didn't mean I'd allow it at mine, nor should I have to argue all day about whether or not it was ok.

I would also check local code. In NYS, the ground has to be at least 48" below the top rail, within 2 or 3ft of the pool wall (can't remember exactly :scratch: ) or code requires fencing on the pool wall. For us, that meant a 30ft level circle. Sorry to hear that.

Atleast for code, I should be fine. The only thing for that is, I must have a fence 48" around pool, unless the pool is higher. So I am putting a fence along the retaining wall, 48". And where there is no wall, the pool is 54". They said that would work just fine. Plus I have no one falling off the retaining wall, lol. I guess I just won't know for sure, until the installer comes out. That is, IF he ever comes out. I am getting poor customer service all around, it is very discouraging.

Good news so far! (I hope I didn't just jinx myself) The installer came out this evening, and skimmed the ground. He said it was about 2 to 2 1/2inches off in places, but wasn't bad. It looks ALOT better now though. I also pointed out the areas of concern (close to drain and soft spots) And he said he wasn't concerned. He wasn't worried about being close, and said the ring where the pool is, is solid. There is an area in the middle area of the pool, that is soft. It is weird, you can see the ground give, then spring back a little. He said he sees that all the time, and that mine isn't bad at all. So, Tomorrow morning, they are bringing sand, and doing the pool. (Pray it doesn't rain tonight)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.