Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swamp again

1. Back To Top    #1

Swamp again

Almost had my pool clear and now it is dark green again. We had to go out of town for 2 days so I missed one day of testing. We came home and the pool was slightly green. I brought it up to shock level that evening and have been maintaining shock levels for 3 days now and it only seems to be getting worse. Out of frustration I did dump a bottle of algicide in a couple of days ago. Could this have made things worse? The green did seem to get much worse after that. We have had some storms and now the temps are around 70 degrees outside. All last summer I battled algea and foresee this summer being the same. I did change out the sand last August. I saw much faster results a couple of weeks ago when I first started on the pool. This is so aggravating!
    Thanks for any advice.
    FC-15
    CC .5
    PH 7.8
    TA-180
    CYA 30
    17K gal, AG, Hayward Sandfilter, new to the BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swamp again

How often are you checking the chlorine? It can drop pretty quickly, even in an hour or so. If you are seeing it drop much between tests, you may need to check it more often.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

read How to "Shock your Pool" up in Pool School. Then, shock the pool according to that Process. Follow it completely and carefully until your pool is clear.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have been checking it every 2 hours and adding bleach every 2 hours today and yesterday. The FC loss last night was only 2 but it is still the same color.
    17K gal, AG, Hayward Sandfilter, new to the BBB method.

5. Back To Top    #5

How has your filter been behaving? Has the pressure been going up? Have you needed to backwash recently?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Sometimes it will look worse at the beginning. Be watching for a shift from green to a grey-blue tint.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat