Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor chlorine reagents

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor chlorine reagents

In my taylor K-2006 (Complete FAS-DPD chlorine) My free chlorine test reagents are
    1. R-0870 DPD powder
    2. R-0871 FAS - DPD tritrating reagent (chlorine)

For a 25ml water sample
    The instructions call for 2 dippers of R-0870 powder (swirl, if free chlorine is present sample will turn pink)
    then add R-0871 dropwise till color changes from pink to colorless.
    then multiply the number of R-0871 drops used by 0.2

I have gotten reliable results using this kit as evidenced by crystal clear water.
    I ran out of the R-0871 so went to my local pool stores to replace.
    None of the three different stores in my area carried this reagent and furthermore none had even heard of it. They all showed me reagent for FC that were R-0001 and R-0002. The R-0002 is in the same brown bottle with yellow cap as my R-0871 and one pool store guy it must be the same thing.

I'm not so sure it is the same.
    Does anyone know if R-0002 can be substituted for R-0871?
    Why the different reagent #'s from the same company?

I'm really confused and would appreciate any help.
    thanks.
    6600 gal IG concrete/gemcoat
    Fresh water
    1 HP motor
    StayRite PLM 100 system 2 filter
    full sun
    Treasure coast, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Taylor chlorine reagents

They are not the same. Most pool stores don't like stocking the expensive R-0870 and R-0871.....mostly because I don't think they understand the need for them.

The reagents they showed you are for the DPD test which test only chlorine levels to 5ppm......not nearly what you need to manage your pool succesfully.

Stick with the R-0870 and R0871 but you'll have to get them online.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I ordered mine from TFTestkits.net

I once asked a guy at the pool store if they had the drop test kits, he points me to the strips. No, I want a drop test kit... this is all we have.

they have some sort of reagent bottles, but I didn't see much else...? no idea what they're doing. DIY kit..?
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

Most of us test with the 10 ml sample and multiply drops by 0.5. That saves on reagent usage and gives you all the precision you really need.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Most of us test with the 10 ml sample and multiply drops by 0.5. That saves on reagent usage and gives you all the precision you really need.
    thanks for that input... I often wondered if the 10ml sample was as accurate. I used it only when i knew the fc levels to be high.
    I ordered my 0871 and another jar of 0870 from amazon, where I have an account, and trust their customer service.
    6600 gal IG concrete/gemcoat
    Fresh water
    1 HP motor
    StayRite PLM 100 system 2 filter
    full sun
    Treasure coast, Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

I typically get my replacement reagents from Amazon.com. To save on shipping I just order it when I'm ordering something else.
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I use the K-2006. I use the 10ml sample too. I get my reagents from Duraleigh... tftestkits.net. When I'm half thru the R-0871 I place an order. Awesome service and shipping speed!
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

Just as accurate, just less precise
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

This place has really good prices on Taylor reageants. R-0870, 871 are on page 5 and 6 respectively.

https://shop.spspools-spas.com/

This is the online store for Swimming Pool Supply Company.

http://www.spspools-spas.com/
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

I like working with TFT I had questions I was able to get a quick friendly and helpful reply!! I'll work with that kind of help and customer service anytime over some bigger outfit (Even if I do love Amazon for so many other things)!!

Thanks for the help the otherday Dave and Meg! received my package today!!
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt Ensign
    I like working with TFT I had questions I was able to get a quick friendly and helpful reply!! I'll work with that kind of help and customer service anytime over some bigger outfit (Even if I do love Amazon for so many other things)!!

Thanks for the help the other day Dave and Meg! received my package today!!
    Not to mention that Dave also owns TFP, and although TFP relies on member donations to keep running and providing this great resource for pool owners, I will also continue to support TFtestkits.net. Their customer service is second to none

PS...Dave, please let me know when my commission check is in the mail
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Ahem, checks? What checks? (I swear, dman, I sent out all those yesterday....really! You should get it any day now, you can trust me.)
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

OK... I'll take your word for it

Joking aside folks, I know there are other sites where you may be able to save an extra $ or two on reagents or perhaps get faster standard shipping to let's say the west coast, but even there TFTestkits uses priority mail. With the money TFP has saved me over the past 3 seasons by keeping me out of the pool store, I feel like I owe Dave, Meg, Jason and the TFP crew a commission check.

uhh...OK, never mind that crazy idea (sorry Dave)

For our newer members, you might find the attached thread an interesting read about our crew

waiting-for-warmer-weather-t27982.html

14. Back To Top    #14

Don't be penny smart and dollar foolish. Support this site.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

15. Back To Top    #15

I had same problem, pool store doesn't stock R-0870 (DPD powder)...ordered it from duraleigh (although shipping cost is same amount as product ...guess it's because of Hawaii).

My question is...how do you clean the little dipper? It has turned black and no matter what cleaning substance I try, I can't get the black off and it seems to be accumulating...assuming that it causes amount of each dip to be different because it's not clean?
    24.5k gallon
    Sand filter (Triton II TR 100)
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

surfhawaii,

The actual amount of the powder doesn't need to be accurate at all. As long as the solution turns pink, that's enough.

If you still want to clean the dipper, sticking it in some diluted (3:1) muriatic acid will do the trick.

I have never tried this but I'll bet you could soak it overnight in household vinegar and it would clean it as well.

Lastly, yes, it's pretty pricey to ship to Hawaii.....wish it weren't so.
    Dave S.