Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To Main Drain or Not To Main Drain

1. Back To Top    #1

To Main Drain or Not To Main Drain

Hi evryone,

I'm still in the planning phase of my pool and as the topic name suggests I'm looking for feed back on weather to put in a main drain or not.

The pool depth will only be 6' in the deep end so not quite a diving pool.
    The pool will be a vinyl liner pool
    I will have 2 skimmers
    I will have no less than 6 returns but maybe more?
    I will have a dedicated suction line for a pool cleaner. (The Pool Cleaner 4 wheel is the model I'm looking at)

I have heard of pools not having a MD and doing just fine and also have heard about pools with MD having leeks all the time and hard to winterize.

I just need Pro's and Con's.

Thanks.
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To Main Drain or Not To Main Drain

Will you be winterizing? If not I'd get it, but with a pool cleaner it probably won't make much of a difference most of the time. If nothing else, it lets you valve off the skimmers and use your pump to drain the pool if necessary, rather than having to use a submersible pump.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't plan on winterizing the pool. Being here in central Texas, I don't think I will need to. I do like the idea of being able to drain the pool if I need to. I know the main drain will make cleaning the pool easier by just brushing the dirt toward the drain.
    Is it really nesseary to have a pool cleaner if you have a main drain and a brush? I love messing with my AGP. I don't mine the added labor of manual vac.
    How often do the drains leek? I guess this is my main concern. I don't want to tear up the pool to fix a leaking drain.
    My wife babies the toy schnauzer and I will baby the pool!!!

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

4. Back To Top    #4

Main drains seem to be losing favor in the industry, at least based upon these sources:

APSP

Pool and Spa News

Much of circulation benefits of a main drain could be done better with returns at a lower depth.

As for the cleaner, I couldn't imagine life without one but I don't really enjoy cleaning the pool all that much. With a cleaner running most of the time, the pool is always clean and ready to go. Plus, it also helps a bit with circulation.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater