need advice - running a SWG

I am going to be running a SWG (intex brand model 8110) on my 18' x 4' AG pool I have test strips for testing the salinity, but what would be a good recommendation for a test kit for everything else.

Now just a little background on what i was told.

When I purchased the pool (used) I had an indepth conversation with owner of the pool. They told me they filled the pool added recommended amount of salt ran the filter (not the SWG) for 24 hours - then ran the SWG.

They said that they ran the filter and SWG for no more than 6 hours a day.

in addition all they tested was the salt levels to make sure that they are at the recommended levels, and that was it. They said they never had cloudy water or algae probelms.

Is this just pure luck or could it be that easy...... or were they full of *!%#

Cheers

It is easy but that's asking for trouble.

They had the steps down right. Add salt, add CYA to get to about 60, run pump 24 hours, turn on swcg.

Run long enough each day to keep the pool clear and to keep the FC in the proper range.

Test every day or every other day for pH and FC. Test once a week using the FAS-DPD kit and once a month for everything else.

The TF-100 or the TF-50 (if you have a pH/OTO kit) from Tftestkits is your best value and the best kit out there.

The test kits from http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/ are generally recommended here. You can get by at first with just a chlorine and ph test. Read pool school on this site and use the pool calculator at http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to see how much salt and stabilizer (cya) to add.

It sounds like the previous owner just got lucky. I'm not really surprised since he was producing a lot of chlorine each day. Read the reviews for the swg at walmart.com and you will see this is pretty common. With the water balanced and the right amount of stabilizer in the water, you will most likely need the run the swg only 2 or 3 hours a day. As for the instructions, I'm pretty sure they just assume the worst and have you produce a lot of chlorine.

Bama Rambler said:
It is easy but that's asking for trouble.

They had the steps down right. Add salt, add CYA to get to about 60, run pump 24 hours, turn on swcg.

Run long enough each day to keep the pool clear and to keep the FC in the proper range.

Test every day or every other day for pH and FC. Test once a week using the FAS-DPD kit and once a month for everything else.

The TF-100 or the TF-50 (if you have a pH/OTO kit) from Tftestkits is your best value and the best kit out there.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I visited a local pool supply company on my lunch. And the sales person will test my water once the salt has been added and the filter run for 24hours. She told me that I would probably only need to add "shock"

And in terms of testing equipment for sale all they had was the dip tests.

Cheers

rghilliard said:
The test kits from http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/ are generally recommended here. You can get by at first with just a chlorine and ph test. Read pool school on this site and use the pool calculator at http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to see how much salt and stabilizer (cya) to add.

It sounds like the previous owner just got lucky. I'm not really surprised since he was producing a lot of chlorine each day. Read the reviews for the swg at walmart.com and you will see this is pretty common. With the water balanced and the right amount of stabilizer in the water, you will most likely need the run the swg only 2 or 3 hours a day. As for the instructions, I'm pretty sure they just assume the worst and have you produce a lot of chlorine.

I think they were lucky as well. They made it sound so easy, all they said they purchased were test strips for salt levels and thats it.

I have been reading a ton of info from the "pool school" so I am pretty confident that everything will be fine. And now that the weather is cooperating, I can finally get this pool filled.

Cheers

You may not need "shock" Shocking your pool is a process, not a product. What the supply house would call shock is just a chlorine source :goodjob:

I will second the TF50 or TF100 :wink:

Yep...don't purchase "shock", and don't depend on water testing from a pool store salesperson that is already looking for a way to sell you unneeded chemicals. The only chemical you'll need from a pool store or the pool aisle in any other department/discount store is CYA (stabilizer). You've been given good advice above about what to do for startup and for regular testing. Follow that advice and the instructions in Pool School, and it really will be just about as easy and trouble free as the original owners promised.

The only thing I do different when first filling my pool at the start of the season is that if I'm slow in hooking up the plumbing for the SWG and getting the salt in the pool, I'll use a little plain household laundry bleach in the amounts suggested by the Pool Calculator site as my chlorine source for the first couple of days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.