Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward pump lid extremely difficult to loosen and tighten

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward pump lid extremely difficult to loosen and tighten

Last year I replaced the o ring on my pump lid and lubricated it with some "Lube Tube" from the pool store.

This year I have to put a long bar through the handle to give me some leverage removing it and ended up putting a small crack where the one of the handle mounts into the overall lid. This makes it really difficult to get at the basket (that plus there's apparently a strong vacuum with water going everywhere when I eventually remove it) and was wondering if anyone could recommend something before I end up breaking the whole lid. Thanks!
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward pump lid extremely difficult to loosen and tight

You could try opening the air bleed on your filter a little while before opening the lid; that should get rid of any vacuum that may be holding the lid down. Keep in mind they typically don't need to be screwed on very tightly to seal; really cranking it on there will make it that much harder to get it off.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Try to loosen the lid while the pump is running.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the lack of filter may be part to the vacuum problem (I just have it going it directly through the pump while I'm waiting on repair parts for my filter). Should water be pushing itself out when the lid is off or will a need to put some shutoff valves on both ends to stop the water from gushing out?

Also, if I can remove it long enough I'll clean and re-lube as well.
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

If the pump is below water level, water will come out when the lid is off so normally, AG pools will have valves on the skimmer and return lines.

BTW, it is the extra suction of the pump running which makes it easier to loosen the pump lid. Counter intuitive but it does work in some cases.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

There should be a valve just before the pump that stops water from the pool from gushing up... you close that before you open the lid. You will also get water from the filter side when you open the lid if you don't close it. (I have the Hayward VariFlo that I place in the 'closed' position before opening the pump lid.)
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter