Wasp’s invasion

May 28, 2010
Our pool has been invaded by wasps, is there anything I can put in the water to detour them from landing for a drink and still swim? This year seems to be worse than last. I have sprayed and knocked down all the nests that I can find around my place so I think they are coming from afar.

Chlorine pool, 24K, Hayward sand filter 16X34 kidney bean 9ft deep

Good question. Adding borates to your pool does make the water toxic to bees, but I'm not sure if that would work to get rid of wasps (or that you would really want to poison all the flying insects in the area just to get rid of wasps). In my experience they will come get a drink and leave, and want nothing to do with people in the pool. Nests around the pool are another matter, but it sounds like you already took care of that.

Melt In, when you mention borates please elorbrate. I am at hte point of trying anything as long as we can still swim. This type of action will also break the chain of life with them. I mean it's an infestation almost to the point of n ot being able to swim as if you go under water you might come up into a few and really who wants to take that chance. Can you give me a brand name?

The window in my kitchen sticks out from the house and is covered by its own small "roof." Under these corners was a favorite spot for wasps. Several times a season I would get under there with spray then knock down the nests. About three years ago I sprayed the nests but left them (you can't see them unless you get right under and look for them.) Since then, no new nests! That doesn't mean they don't make nests elsewhere, but at least this spot has remained clear. Hope it helps.

GPGYO, I'll try this and post a my results. I do have 2 dogs but can keep them from drinking from the pool. After I have done the math I need 90 lbs of Borax and 6 gallons of acid. SO only time will tell if this reples/reduces the invasion.

thanks

Somewhere in that long borate thread someone estimated that at the recommended borate level a dog wouldn't have problems unless it got 100% of its water from the pool. I thought my dog would stop when I changed to saltwater but it didn't make a difference to her. She's now been drinking pool water (but not really that much) with borates for a couple of months with no (apparent) ill effects and she's a 15 year old pomeranian. Even though she likes to drink from the pool she's very cautious around the edge so if the water level is just a little low its something of a deterrent. That may not work with a large breed, though. From what I've read here, it's very unlikely adding borates will cause your dogs problems. I don't know if it will help your bee problem but I think it's worth doing for the other benefits discussed in the above linked thread. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.