Draining b/c of HIGH nitrates.....

Jun 14, 2011
OK I am new here :) We had a nitrate problem last year and guess it carried over this year. Brought water to be tested and the guy was stunned by the nitrate number. Suggested draining and refilling instead of dumping a ton of $$$ on chemicals. We are almost drained...my question is should I do anything b4 we refill??? It is a concreate pool DE filter about 48,000 gallons. Should be brush? Scrub walls? Powerwash??? Or just refill it......any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank u

What are the condition of the walls? ie scale, organic staining etc? if not, then just refill.

For future reference, you don't need to drain because of nitrates or phosphates - just maintain the FC according to our CYA chart and you won't have issues related to either of them.

I think the walls look good I dont see anything noticiable. I am a little naive in the pool termanology.....what is FC...free Chlorine??? We couldn't keep any chlorine in it.....the guy at the pool store was baffeled (sp) and the fact that we had this problem b4 and he wasnt trying to sell me a ton of chemicals I trusted what he told me. Do you have any idea what causes nitrates???? We have no trees in out backyard so it's not leaves.......we haven't fertilized either???

Looks good to me... get to filling!
The thing about nitrates and phosphates is as long as you keep your FC above the "min" for your CYA level - see the chart in my sig - they are irrelevant.
Now, something may have been consuming your chlorine as you added it.... and you simply weren't adding enough of it. Read Pool School- specifically How to Shock your pool.

For example, if you pour in a jug or two of chlorine, expecting to hit a certain level of free chlorine (FC), and after adding the two jugs, you don't reach that point.... a few possibilities. One, the chlorine isn't as strong as you thought, or two (and more likely) something is consuming it as soon as you add it. So we recommend testing every hour or two after adding the chlorine to ensure you have reached your shock level. If you didn't, you simply add more, every hour or two, until you do.

This requires that you have your own test kit. Once you refill your water, are you planning on using tablets or liquid chlorine for daily chlorination?

If you are planning on using tablets, you need to add enough CYA to reach 20-30 ppm and set your TA at 120 and your PH at 7.8. I suggest you test your tap/fill water for a starting point so you know if you need to purchase Borax, Baking Soda or Acid.

If you plan to use bleach/liquid chlorine, you want to set your CYA level to 50ppm.

We use tablets in a floating thing...is that ok???? we use the granuales should we just use straight bleach (like the kind u get in the grocery store????) I will read all the links u suggested and I can't thank you enuff for your help!!!! It really is appreciated :)

No prob. ;)

Tablets are fine, as long as you understand what they do and how to adjust that. They are acidic, so they lower PH and TA. Use Borax and Baking Soda to monitor those levels. They raise your CYA level. Towards the end of the season, as the CYA level gets higher (around 50) - the tablets simply can't produce the proper FC level needed to stay above your "min". This means you need to switch to liquid chlorine. Many TFP'rs simply add a little bleach every evening as their source of FC.

To take total control of your pool and avoid the guess work, you need your own test kit. We recommend two, and there is an article in Pool School that compares them. Purchase online, you won't find them in stores.

Avoid granules. Most of them contain extra things you may not want in your pool, and they are expensive. You really don't need them for anything anyway - if you've been told to "shock your pool every week or two" that is pool store myth based on bad information.

Bleach is liquid chlorine, 6% sodium hypochlorite. Liquid "shock" - sold in pool stores is also sodium hypochlorite, usually 10% or 12.5%. They are identical other than the % of active ingredient.

I have used clorox, generic store brand, Walmart brand, etc. All are fine. No scents or additives, etc.

Post back if you need clarification on anything - we are all glad to help :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.