Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much space needed above sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much space needed above sand filter?

I'm getting ready to plumb in my solar panels to my equipment pad and I'd LIKE to mount the controls and piping ABOVE the sand filter, on the brick wall of my house. I'm trying to save space and keep all the controls handy. It sticks out quite a ways, though (2" plumbing), and I'm afraid it will be in the way of servicing the sand filter when needed. So, how far above the filter should I mount it, or is this a bad idea?
    20K gal IG vinyl 18'x36' rectangle, 2' radius corners
    Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite 40K SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS 3050,
    Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo 24" Sand filter, Model T-240BP-1, Polaris 280 Auto Cleaner
    Sunstar solar panels (438 sq ft ), Pentair Sun Touch Controller automating solar panels, SWG, and Polaris
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much space needed above sand filter?

It varies somewhat from model to model, but most sand filters only need a couple of inches vertical clearance to remove the cover, as long as there is room to move the cover off to the side in some direction. A filter with only a small opening on top needs some additional space, beyond that, to allow for adding and removing sand. And a filter with a top mounted valve also needs room to turn the valve handle and service the valve. That said, you never want things too crowded in together.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the Sta-Rite 300lb filter in my sig, with a top-mount multi port. I was thinking about a foot above the multi. Plenty of room to access the valve handle and it sounds like okay for taking the top off, then?
    Sunstar solar panels (438 sq ft ), Pentair Sun Touch Controller automating solar panels, SWG, and Polaris
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd do everything I could to keep it from over the top of the sand filter. Or at least as high as I possibly could. Imagine if you ever have to remove the lateral assembly. You'll need at least a couple of feet or more to get the sand out and the lateral assembly out. You'll also need about that much to get the sand back in there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, those two opinions (both appreciated ) kind of conflict a bit. Any more opinions out there?

Thanks in advance!
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

They don't really conflict. If all you want to do is be able to operate the valve then you only need a few inches. I was just being devil's advocate in the case you ever had to work on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit