Trying to get on the program

May 26, 2011
Southeast Georgia
During the last several weekshad to repair my pump. In the days it was down, the temp jumped to 90 degrees and algae turned my pool into a green pond. I've alwat seemed to battle getting my pool just right so I was on the web and found this site. I read several posts and I ordered a new test kit. By the time it arrived my water was back to crstal clear, so I tested it to see what the baseline was. I tested it a couple more times and made some slight adjustments to the auto clorinator but for the most part, the water has been as good as it ever has. I walk out today and while the water still looks great, I see the beginning of algae on the corner of my steps. I just don't understand how/ why. I retested the pool today to see if I could see any issues. Could someone please look at these readings and give me some advise on how to keep my pool as clear asit is today without the algae?

FC-8.5 to 4.5
CC-0
PH-7.5 to 7.8
T/A-100 to 110
CH-220 to 220
CYA-80 to 60

Welcome to TFP Bill :wave:

Which readings are baseline vs. today's reading? Neither seem that bad, but if CYA is 80 today, you'll want to switch to bleach. You could just have poor circulation around your steps. Try taking a water sample near the spot where the algae is growing.

Hey, Bill,

Always keep in mind that algae will not grow in the presence of adequate chlorine. Your CYA is pretty high so your chlorine has to be kept w-a-ay up around 6-9ppm. If you don't keep it there, Algae will likely get a foothold.

Are you chlorinating with pucks?

I use the clorine pucks in the auto clorinator but since reading on this site have started to introduce liquid clorine to maintain during fluctuations in use, weather, etc. In the past I tried to adjust the level by increasind/decreasing the valve on the aoto clorinator, but I guess after cleaning up the algae issue on turned it down too much, thus the sudden drop in FC over the past week. (Pump's running 10 hours per day). Thanks for the help.

I did not see where you described what you did to clear your swamp.

Did you take your pool to shock level, and hold it there until your overnight cholorine loss was less than .5?

I wish I could be more specific but the first thing I did was adjust my PH with Muratic Acid. I then used a product recommended by the PS that gives pretty specific directions on amount of clorinating product to add with it by volume of water. Product raises alkalinity so I backwashed the filter, readjusted PH again, and repeated the process. It was during this process that I found this site and ordered my T-1000. When I shocked again I used liquid clorine rather than powder and results were much better.

duraleigh said:
Hey, Bill,

Always keep in mind that algae will not grow in the presence of adequate chlorine. Your CYA is pretty high so your chlorine has to be kept w-a-ay up around 6-9ppm. If you don't keep it there, Algae will likely get a foothold.

Are you chlorinating with pucks?

Stick to liquid and keep your FC in the 6-9 range.

Since you see visible algae you should shock the pool until you no longer see it and the FC is holding overnight - do an OCLT to confirm there is nothing living organic wise that is consuming the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.