Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should pool water be blue?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should pool water be blue?

Our pH was a little low today as well as our CYA - so I added a small amount of ph Increaser and CYA (from BioGuard) at about 2:30. Now (7:30) we noticed the pool is still nice and clear, but a blue tinge (we can see it where the water comes up on our steps). Pump has been running all day. We did shock it last night with a product called Bioguard Smart Shock (that you can swim 15 min. after putting it in the water?!) I don't think we'll be using that one again...

According to a quick dip test the pH is 7.2, FC 4, TA 120, and CYA 30.

Will do a more thorough test here after dinner.

Anyway, I noticed a lot of posts with people loving their "clear blue water"...so is pool water supposed to be blue?

Thanks, all!
    Sarah
    loc: WI ~24k gal vinyl w/fiberglass steps, 18ft x 38ft, 3.5ft shallow(90deg floor to walls)-8ft deep end(floor to 45deg wall to vert wall), 300lb sand filter, chlorine (liquid shock and trichlor). Skim in middle, single main, two returns facing away from skimmer and towards the surface a bit. Sarah and Mike. We are new pool owners - it came with the house!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should pool water be blue?

If a column of water is thick enough, it will be blue to the eye. Notice how pools with white plaster appear blue? Apparently, this is due to the bending of the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen.

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought about that - but it was an obvious change from this afternoon to this evening from very clear to a blue - the amount of water I was looking at was the same. The sky wasn't blue either.

Strange!

Hopefully it will clear up by morning. I am starting to see how some of these "helpful" chemicals from the pool store have funny side effects...
    loc: WI ~24k gal vinyl w/fiberglass steps, 18ft x 38ft, 3.5ft shallow(90deg floor to walls)-8ft deep end(floor to 45deg wall to vert wall), 300lb sand filter, chlorine (liquid shock and trichlor). Skim in middle, single main, two returns facing away from skimmer and towards the surface a bit. Sarah and Mike. We are new pool owners - it came with the house!

4. Back To Top    #4

Our numbers are:

pH 7.3
    FC 8.5
    CC .5
    TAK -150
    CH 300 (this could be high, we aren't 100% we did the test correct - the pink to blue was so subtle and appeared purple? for a bit)
    CYA 35

We are still getting used to the test kit, but those should be more accurate than what I posted earlier.

Hoping for clear water in the AM!

5. Back To Top    #5

I say yes. My pool walls are white. When I go out back to smoke when it's light but the sun still isn't up, it looks blue. It also looks blue when the light is on and it's dark outside. The color ain't coming from the sky nor the walls...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Our water is blue immediately (daylight hours, if it matters). For instance, we have fiberglass steps going into the pool. The water looks blue comparing the two inches above and below the water line. t doesn't seem right to us that it should be that blue.

- Mike

p.s. Sarah - post a pic

7. Back To Top    #7

I think it is looking less blue this morning but it's in the shade, hard to tell?! Tried to take a picture but in the shade it doesn't really turn out.

I am leaving the cover off today hoping to get the FC levels down a bit from 8.5.

Hopefully, the blue will clear up today as well, or we'll just get used to looking at it blue?! It was really weird though, all of a sudden looking like someone put blue dye in the pool!?!

Thanks for the responses! I will let you know if it does clear up, or if it is just our eyes that need adjusting.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are pools blue for the same reason that the sky is blue? The sky is blue because it scatters the blue light (short wavelengths) more than the red (long wavelengths), so more blue light reaches your eyes.
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by loop_pea
    Are pools blue for the same reason that the sky is blue? The sky is blue because it scatters the blue light (short wavelengths) more than the red (long wavelengths), so more blue light reaches your eyes.
    We have a winner!

Both scattering and absorption are involved which is why the water heats up in the sun. Longer wavelengths (red) are absorbed and shorter wavelengths (blue) are mostly scattered.

Color of water
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

There are additives that will temporarily turn water a much deeper blue than natural. Is it possible the previous owners used some and it's still there? I only ask because if you are seeing a significant blue tint less than a couple of feet down it probably isn't normal unless the position of the sun is causing the liner to reflect on it.

Also, I don't think anybody mentioned this yet, but please read the Pool School info on shocking. You cannot properly shock the pool in 15 minutes. I actually found this site because I was trying to shock the wrong way and wasn't getting anywhere.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

It think it was caused by an additive. It is looking better already. It is still blue, but not so much contrast one inch down from the waterline.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by fordfampool
    CH 300 (this could be high, we aren't 100% we did the test correct - the pink to blue was so subtle and appeared purple? for a bit)
    I suspect possible copper due to the unusual blue of the pool water and the purple in the calcium test. You could have the water tested for copper and iron to see if that's what's causing the blue. Also, check all chemicals added to see if any contain copper.

13. Back To Top    #13

Should pool water be blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson
    There are additives that will temporarily turn water a much deeper blue than natural. Is it possible the previous owners used some and it's still there? I only ask because if you are seeing a significant blue tint less than a couple of feet down it probably isn't normal unless the position of the sun is causing the liner to reflect on it.

Also, I don't think anybody mentioned this yet, but please read the Pool School info on shocking. You cannot properly shock the pool in 15 minutes. I actually found this site because I was trying to shock the wrong way and wasn't getting anywhere.

I think they were referencing a non chlorine oxidizing shock such as mps commonly used in spas. My new pool came with a whole box of these packets....
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt Ensign
    I think they were referencing a non chlorine oxidizing shock such as mps commonly used in spas. My new pool came with a whole box of these packets....
    I thought that too, but the only Bioguard Smart Shock I have seen is Dichlor.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

15. Back To Top    #15

I love my crystal blue water. It sparkles!
    Of course the coating in my pool is called gemcoat, that has blue crystals embedded in it.
    Purty!!!
    6600 gal IG concrete/gemcoat
    Fresh water
    1 HP motor
    StayRite PLM 100 system 2 filter
    full sun
    Treasure coast, Florida

16. Back To Top    #16

Sarah and I saw the blue hue again, but this time we made no large changes. We think it may be due to the time of day/angle of sunlight after all.
    -Mike

17. Back To Top    #17

If you used pool salt with the additive yellow prussiate of soda (anti caking) and had any iron in water then that may have dyed your water blue. ...or you have copper that oxidized due to the shock.