HELP!!! Got rid of algae but can't clear cloudiness!

Jun 6, 2011
Hi y'all from NC!

I have been struggling with our AG pool for over a month trying to get water stabalized and clear in time for daughters wedding this weekend. Had it crystal clear for about a week back in early May, but since then it's had a massive algae bloom, which I think i've managed to finally wipe out, but now water is still cloudy despite multiple shock treatments, and dumping chemicals as directed by pool store. I saw this site and immediately started using the liquid bleach and got water to point that I could see bottom, but water still hazy. I took sample up to pool store Sat for them to test, as I have only been able to use strips (money is tight with wedding costs!) just to see if I was reading #'s correctly.

This is what they got:

temp; 83
saturation index -0.3
TDS:1000
CYA: 67
FC: 5
ph: 7.2
TA: 86
total adjusted alkalinity? 66
TH: 360

I have been adding 10% liquid chlorine from hardware store but couldn't do testing every hour like recommended due to so much going on.
1.5HP pump runs 24/7. Full sun most of the day. Had heavy thunderstorms last two nights which may have added to the cloudiness. No solid particles to vacum. All suspended in the water.

I have a circulator return jet that stirs up water in random pattern, so not just going around in circle. Wondering if too much circulation?

HELP!!!! I want pool sparkling for wedding reception!

Thanks!

Laurie

17,000 gal AG vinyl, 1.5HP sand filter, runs 24/7,full sun location

On sat pool store test indicated I needed to add 14 lbs of alkalinity increaser, but I only added 10lbs, and also added 1.5qts of scale inhibitor to reduce the total hardness. Also added poly sheen clarifier.

Tonight I added 6 gals bleach (5%) as FC had dropped to near 0.

I will double check FC level again tomorrow am.

I had read where adding DE might help the filtering, but how do i do it?

Laurie

17,000 gal AG vinyl, 1.5HP sand filter, runs 24/7,full sun location

Laurie...welcome to TFP :wave:

Stop listening to the PS...they are reducing your wedding fund. They sold you 14lbs of alkalinity increaser (Baking Soda)...but that not going to clear your pool and your TA is not that low if you plan on using bleach. A good test kit will go a long way in keeping the pool trouble free.

With CYA at 67, your FC should be at 6-8ppm.

This morning I can just barely see the bottom of pool, so there has been slight improvement overnight, and numbers are:

FC: 4
ph: 7.5
TA: 180!?
CYA:50 (probably closer to the 67, but strips aren't super accurate, I know)

What now?

I will be ordering a REAL test kit tomorrow (payday!) so I can be more accurate.

Since it is really hot here now, my water level is in need of a top off, so will be adding well water-good news is my well is tapped into an underground spring that is PURE-when county tested water for our move in occupancy permit they did it twice because there is NOTHING registering in water, which they coldn't believe! So I know adding water will really be just that-water! No chemicals. I will backwash before adding the new water.

Laurie

17,000 gal 27X4, AG vinyl, 1.5HP sand filter, runs 24/7,full sun location

Keep an eye on your pH.

Your high TA will likely be driving it upwards.

You start to get too high... with your numbers
(
Temp: 83
CH: 360
TA 180
)

And you might start to see some scaling if your pH rises about 7.7 or so for any significant amount of time.

Just try to target a 7.2 or so pH, and it should correct your TA by itself.

Also, check the numbers on your source water, so you will know what variables you are adding when you refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.