Dull Pool Water

Mar 13, 2010
Hello,
THis is such a great site, I've learned so much about pool care on here. Thank you to all of the wonderful contributors!
I have an indoor pool with dull water. It is not cloudy because I can clearly see the main drains, but the water just looks "flat". It has been like this for about a week now. The backwash water also appears sudsy/soapy.
The filters, pump and flow are all in perfect operatio nand are backwashed as needed. There is no air in the system. The skimmers are not sucking air and the pump strainer lid is tightly sealed.
Levels are as follows:
FC: 2.5
TC: 2.5
pH: 7.3
TA: 90
CH: 180 (vinyl liner pool)
Water Temp: 81 degrees
Indoor swimming pool with 100 bathers/day.

Please help, I am open to suggestions because this is a mystery to me....
Thank you, :wave:

My stock solution for dull water is to raise the chlorine and increase the filter run-time.

A little more info might help us figure it out:

If you use the retractable roof, does the pool have any CYA in it?

How do you chlorinate and test?

Hello, JohnT,
Thank you for the reply. This is not the pool with the retractable roof. This one is indoors, but has no sunlight at all. IT uses sodium hypochlorite dispenesed by an automated CAT chemical controller. THe filtration center runs 24/7. THe pool was recently shocked. CC is 0. It was dull before the shock as well as afterwards.
The test kit is for the FC is the Taylor FAS-DPD kit. And everything else is tested with the Taylor K-2005C kit. (Similar to the Taylor K-2006 kit). All reagents are fresh too.

Very strange....I'm open to any suggestions.
Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.