Hayward Filter question -- EC-65

G

I've been having a hard time keeping the pool sparkly this year. One issue may be that my local Aldi no longer carries Tundra bleach which I was very happy with for the past few years. Their new bleach, Tandil, is supposed to be 6% but I'm using twice as much bleach as last year for worse results.

Anyhow, I just turned the pump on and got a bunch of green coming out of the return. I've been keeping the FC high so am not sure how anything green could be living in the filter. So I will have to keep the FC at shock level for this week, but does this indicate a problem with one or more of the fingers?

Last week, I took the filter apart and cleaned it. I only used TSP as it was pretty clean -- used Miracid last August and it was still pretty clean when I closed the pool in September and washed the filter out.

When I had the pump apart, the fingers all looked good -- no obvious tears but I'm not sure what a bad finger would look like. There was one that was a little less smooth than the others.

Thanks in advance!

This doesn't sound like a filter issue to me. Its a great filter.

The problem sounds to me like you are dealing with a "nascent" algae situation, and simply aren't using enough chlorine, the Aldi bleach is usually fine so this tells me something is consuming the FC as you add it, KWIM?

I suggest you shock the pool, leave the filter running 24/7. Perform an Overnight FC loss test tonight, and if you lose more than 1ppm of FC overnight, you need to maintain shock level until the FC holds overnight.

When is the last time you tested your CYA level, and are you certain you have been staying above your "min" FC level at all times?

Thanks. Since I work and sleep, I can't be certain that the pool isn't dipping down below shock level from time-to-time. ;-P
CYA was a little low (25) so I added some last weekend; will test again after it's been in there for a week.

I forgot to add that the green cloud appeared after I "bumped" the filter. Normal start-up is not accompanied by a cloud. Filter has not been running 24/7 but I can make that happen of course.

I was mostly concerned that I might have a bad finger, but if not I will make sure to run the filter longer.

It's been a tough year between solving the pump and electric problems I had, as well as a lot of wind with more pollen than usual. I also plan to check out the Walgreens bleach sale and see if the bleach makes a difference.

Pool looks great now -- I guess I just had to keep the bleach up for a week and CYA is now 40 so we're good. However, a bit came out from the return when I bumped it today, so it appears that there is a small problem.

Is there anywhere online that I can see what a bad finger looks like? Also, if it is the tube sheet, does one normally order and replace both, or could the problem be just one? For my filter, it looks like I have to order 2 separate parts and it may take a while to get them. Is there anywhere online that shows what bad ones look like? Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.