Hyrdazzo plaster getting more rough??

merl

Mar 8, 2011
When the pool was filled with water the bottom seemed smooth in about 50 of the surface, it now is getting worse and is not smooth in almost every area. I have swept the bottom of the pool numerous times daily since it was filled, but again it is getting worse. Any idea why the plaster would go from smooth to rough?

FC = 0
TC = 0
Salt 2800 from the test, the box says 3.1
Calcium = 150
Cyanuric Acid = 40
TA = 110
pH = 8.2
Pho = 300

Leslie's said add 28 oz of acid, so I did that last night, the PB came by today and said it is not the process that is failing to create chlorine but that I have high phosphates and that is eating all my chlorine!

How old is this pool?
Your problem is your calcium hardness is too low. I can't believe the PB didn't spot that right off.

Phosphates don't eat chlorine, algae does. You need to get some chlorine in there now.

It is 3 weeks old, first week they dumped 6 bags of salt, and I think 6 jugs of acid and that is it. Next week I noted the salt was low like 2. something, so I added a bag, that got it to 2.8 then last week I added another bag and 28 oz of acid. So I need to raise calcium hardness....okay

merl,

Hard to say, but I would suspect you've had some calcium scaling because of your high pH. While you certainly need to add calcium, I'm not so sure the issue that caused the roughness was the plaster being etched (because of low calcium) or calcium scaling because of high pH.

My thinking is that etching (low calcium) would take a little longer and it's important to note you do have SOME calcium.

Scaling, however, will occur easily within three weeks since apparently no one has made an attempt to control the pH.

Either way, you need to get your pH down into the 7's immediately and get your PB involved to help you fix your pool.

>> It is 3 weeks old, first week they dumped 6 bags of salt, and I think 6 jugs of acid

no salt should have been added the first 4 weeks. pH should have been maintained around 7.2 to 7.4 depending on your startup procedure guidelines. I started mine with only liquid chlorine and muriatic acid and maintained pH at 7.2 the first month and added salt after 8 weeks.

Yep they said nothing after starting it up, but to clarify there was a 10 day period where the pool ran with no salt, just chlorine tabs. Is this reversable? I mean I am adding acid to drop ph and Im going to get something to bring up calcium, how can I get the surface back to being smooth?

To bad you guys know all this and the PB just looks confused.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this reversible? Hard to say. If it's calcium scaling, that can usually be resolved.

If it's etching the plaster, that will be hard to fix short of resurfacing the plaster.

The majority of the time, it seems to be scaling.

FAC = 2.0
TAC = 2.0
Salt = 3200
CH = 200
CYA = 50
TA = 80
pH = 7.8
Phospates = 1000

I think this is good, what do you all think. I believe my plaster went south because the PB filled the pool with 6 gallons of acid, then some choline and left it for 10 days, then added salt and did nothing else. They did not instruct me on what to do regarding the chemicals or treatment of the water. Today they are here to empty the pool and polish.

Well today we emptied the pool and then they polished the entire thing. They said it was plaster dust because I did not brush it daily. I brushed it 2 and 3 times a day. I wanted the PB the heck out of my life and I did it religously. They however did nothing for the water. I probably should have looked at it sooner. But they said they would make it operational. At start up they put the acid in it and the chlorine. Then 10 days later they put six bags of salt. All the while mind you I brushed it! I thought because it was salt that maybe there was no chemical process for me to begin. They had said they would come back after a week to check on it. We'll either 5 or 6 days go by, I go get a new test kit and started testing. I had huge PH levels and no chlorine. I started acid treatment probably on day 14 or 15. I had added salt as there was 0 reading after a week and by that time I had started getting the ph down. Still had water hardness, then got that down, then realized they had the salt thingy set wrong. All the while kids getting bloody toes, I wrote it off to first time in pool. I did notice it was getting rougher in spots, I told the PB, then last last a week ago Saturday I swam and the surface was completly rought, just as my kids had said. I guess I should have gotten in earlier. I did attempt to get the water right when I realized the PB had no clue and was not going to do anything else. I know it was scaling, I wish I would have done something sooner but like an idiot I relied on a PB who has been as reliable as an old ford granada. Knowingly relying on a known unreliable. Unbelievable. Well now I am out 600 bucks for water and sewage. My wife is going to send him that bill, but he has already had his guys tell me it was plaster dust from non brushing, and the PB left the same message for my wife. His defense is set. SO short of hiring experts, my lawyer, a lot of time .. I'm out 600. City of Houston your welcome! PB You son of a *&^%$. Have a great summer.

It sounds like you had quite a few problems with the Hydrazzo start up. How is it now? We are thinking of doing hydrazzo and want to distinguish between pool builder error and a problematic product. Any additional feedback would be helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.