Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Stabilizer

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Stabilizer

Pool company just came out and put in 800lbs of salt to my pool. He said he didn't have time to add the stabilizer but told me to take out the skimmer basket and put it in there a little at at time. No levels have been tested yet as my kit hasn't come in yet and they didn't test either. They left two 10lb pail of haviland stabilizer. Will it be ok just to go ahead and add it like he said to do?
    31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Adding Stabilizer

What size is your pool?

How are you chlorinating?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I was told it was a 20x40 true L. When I asked the pool company the gallons they replied "40,000 maybe more". I have the polaris autoclear plus system but it has the error code 94 on it. The pool company was supposed to do everything to get it run but they haven't done squat they said they would.
    31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

"40,000 maybe more".
    Yikes, that is really unsatisfactory. It's hard to tell if you have the correct dosage without getting the gallons just a little closer than that.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

My thoughts exactly. I guess I need to try to calculate it myself.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just called the pool company and she said about 28,000 gallons maybe a little more.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd add 10 lbs. and test in a week.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, according to the Pool Calculator, 10 lbs. of cya will increase your CYA to about 43.

This is a little low for a SWG, but going slow with this is a good thing.

ETA: Yep, what WoodyP said and,

It would be very helpful if you add your pool and equipment specs to your sig.
    Go to User Control Panel (top left, under TFP logo), select Profile, then select Edit Sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

The pool store just told me to go and get 6 bags of shock and put it in so it won't turn green. I sure wish I had my test kit already. Should I do what they suggest?

10. Back To Top    #10

What were the numbers they gave you?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

They haven't tested squat. They are just going off of experience I guess. They put in 800lbs of salt and the guy came back while I was gone and put in 20lbs of stabilizer. I called the store and she said she didn't want the pool to turn green and for me to go to HD and buy 6 bags of shock to put in it. I've never owned a pool before and now she has me terrified it will be green in the morning.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jsw5620
    They haven't tested squat. They are just going off of experience I guess. They put in 800lbs of salt and the guy came back while I was gone and put in 20lbs of stabilizer. I called the store and she said she didn't want the pool to turn green and for me to go to HD and buy 6 bags of shock to put in it. I've never owned a pool before and now she has me terrified it will be green in the morning.
    Okay, 20#'s will raise the CYA level to about 86. I suggest you do not add any powder shock, but just get a few large jugs of clorox (bleach, plain unscented 6%) and add one large jug (I think they are 1.42 gallons). That should take care of you for tonight. Have a couple jugs for back-up as needed.

You can get it at WallyWorld, grocery store, etc.
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

BTW, what is your fill water source? Well? Municipal???

14. Back To Top    #14

Thank you so much, Butterfly!! I am headed to wallyworld now! The water is municipal water. Just checked the tracking and my test kit should be here Weds. I would love to do the BBB method on this pool.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you so much, Butterfly!! I am headed to wallyworld now! The water is municipal water. Just checked the tracking and my test kit should be here Weds. I would love to do the BBB method on this pool.
    You're welcome. Got lotsa folks around here to help

Don't worry, It will be okay. You know that even if it should turn green, we can help you fix it

16. Back To Top    #16

I have no doubt yall can help me through this

BTW, how long should I wait before I fire up my SWG? Salt was added 3-4 hours ago and it appears to be dissolved and stabilizer was added around 1.5 hours ago.

17. Back To Top    #17

I have no doubt yall can help me through this

BTW, how long should I wait before I fire up my SWG? Salt was added 3-4 hours ago and it appears to be dissolved and stabilizer was added around 1.5 hours ago.
    Dunno - Need some #'s! I'll let someone else talk about your SWG. I thought you had an error code 94 or something

Do you have any type of test kit? We at least need to know some water test #'s before we advise!

Did you get that bleach yet?

btw, if anyone tries to add more stabilizer/CYA to your pool, do this to them

18. Back To Top    #18

I was getting the error 94 but i pushed the test button on the contoller and it went away and showed it was generating so I turned it off. I am headed back now with the bleach. I dont have any test kits at all. Thats something I was thinking the pool company would have done at least once but I was mistaken lol! I won't let anyone get near it with anymore stabilizer! I asked the pool guy that came today if we should clean the cell, but he said "naw!"

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

How old is this pool?
    Dave S.

20. Back To Top    #20

You need to wait about 24 hours with the pump running after the salt was added to turn the swcg on. There could be areas of high salinity that aren't good for the cell if it's generating and it flows through it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast