unstabilized tabs

Jun 6, 2011
does anyone know where I can get unstabilized tabs? I have an offline chlorine feeder which I have used but now battle the high CYA levels. I am working the CYA down (currently at 100) but want to keep using the chlorinator I have.

The chlorine is liquid that I buy from the pool store. This is the 2nd time it has happened. It clouds up instantly. The first time it happened was last Tuesday. I just got it 95% clear. I just put in approx. 2.5 gallons from a new 5 gallon container and it is cloudy again.

I am not using tabs because my CYA level was 100

Yea... I am thinking algae too.

At 100 CYA, you would want to be shooting for a 12 FC... ALL the time. That's kind of tough.

So, when you add in 2.5 gallons of liquid chlorine from the pool store, that very well may be 12.5%, and depending on the size of your pool, may be taking you up high enough to kill the algae that has gotten a hold.

And, the clouding you are seeing is algae corpses.

I would suggest doing a proper shock, holding it at shock levels until you do not see any loss over night. Then maintain at 12 FC.

If you are still seeing clouding under those conditions then the mystery will have deepened.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Could it be calcium cloudiness? Your pH seems high to me, and would go up even more when you add the liquid chlorine, which tends to raise pH for a while before settling back down. If your pool is very warm then this is more likely. My pool recently went white and cloudy as the water warmed up, but returned to normal when the pH came down with acid addition. I am guessing this is a white cloudiness not green, because green would not be much of a mystery.

it is a white cloudiness. I did add 15 lbs of calcium 2 weeks ago as it was low. Maybe I should use a calcium based powder vs. liquid ? Not sure if it is algea or calcium at this point. I have a new bottle of algicide should I dmp that in the pool?

The best way to find out if this is an algae problem or not is to do an OCLT (overnight free chlorine loss test), see this article in Pool School. If you are losing a significant amount of chlorine overnight it is algae, and if you lose none, or a minimal amount of chlorine, overnight it is something else like calcium clouding.

A quicker way to check for calcium clouding would be to lower the PH to 7.2. If it is calcium clouding the clouding should go away as soon as the PH gets down around there. Lowering the PH won't hurt anything, but it won't help if the problem is algae.

kingbink said:
I did add 15 lbs of calcium 2 weeks ago as it was low.
I have a new bottle of algicide should I dmp that in the pool?

In the vast majority of pool situations algaecide isn't necessary.

What kind of pool is this?

Now would be a good time to create a signature with your pool/equipment specs. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.