Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: unstabilized tabs

1. Back To Top    #1

unstabilized tabs

does anyone know where I can get unstabilized tabs? I have an offline chlorine feeder which I have used but now battle the high CYA levels. I am working the CYA down (currently at 100) but want to keep using the chlorinator I have.
    20 x 40 gunite in ground pool, 400,00 btu Laars heater, 24" Hayward sand filter, 2hp Hayward Northstar pump, Hayward offline chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: unstabilized tabs

No such animal exists that you can use in that feeder.
    There are rumors of slow dissolving Cal-Hypo tablets but they have their own problems and can't be used in a feeder where trichlor was ever used.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

ok thanks... Everytime I use liquid chlorine the pool is cloudy for several days and I have to run the pump 24 hr/day. Is there something I am missing. All other levels are in check.
    20 x 40 gunite in ground pool, 400,00 btu Laars heater, 24" Hayward sand filter, 2hp Hayward Northstar pump, Hayward offline chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

All other levels are in check.
    That's probably not the case. liquid chlorine doesn't cloud in a pool wherein all the parameters are normal. What is you CH and pH and TA
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

water tested on sunday and levels were..

PH 7.9
    alk 130
    CA 100
    Calcium 200

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Tell us more about the specifics when you add the chlorine. What type is it? How soon does it cloud up? How long does it last? How many times has this happened to you?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The chlorine is liquid that I buy from the pool store. This is the 2nd time it has happened. It clouds up instantly. The first time it happened was last Tuesday. I just got it 95% clear. I just put in approx. 2.5 gallons from a new 5 gallon container and it is cloudy again.

I am not using tabs because my CYA level was 100

8. Back To Top    #8

With CYA at 100 it could be algae. What do you normally maintain your FC at?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

was at 7.3 over the weekend from the shock treament last week. I also have been putting in an algecide for 1 month.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yea... I am thinking algae too.

At 100 CYA, you would want to be shooting for a 12 FC... ALL the time. That's kind of tough.

So, when you add in 2.5 gallons of liquid chlorine from the pool store, that very well may be 12.5%, and depending on the size of your pool, may be taking you up high enough to kill the algae that has gotten a hold.

And, the clouding you are seeing is algae corpses.

I would suggest doing a proper shock, holding it at shock levels until you do not see any loss over night. Then maintain at 12 FC.

If you are still seeing clouding under those conditions then the mystery will have deepened.

11. Back To Top    #11

Could it be calcium cloudiness? Your pH seems high to me, and would go up even more when you add the liquid chlorine, which tends to raise pH for a while before settling back down. If your pool is very warm then this is more likely. My pool recently went white and cloudy as the water warmed up, but returned to normal when the pH came down with acid addition. I am guessing this is a white cloudiness not green, because green would not be much of a mystery.
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

12. Back To Top    #12

it is a white cloudiness. I did add 15 lbs of calcium 2 weeks ago as it was low. Maybe I should use a calcium based powder vs. liquid ? Not sure if it is algea or calcium at this point. I have a new bottle of algicide should I dmp that in the pool?

13. Back To Top    #13

the pool is 79 degrees by the way

14. Back To Top    #14

The best way to find out if this is an algae problem or not is to do an OCLT (overnight free chlorine loss test), see this article in Pool School. If you are losing a significant amount of chlorine overnight it is algae, and if you lose none, or a minimal amount of chlorine, overnight it is something else like calcium clouding.

A quicker way to check for calcium clouding would be to lower the PH to 7.2. If it is calcium clouding the clouding should go away as soon as the PH gets down around there. Lowering the PH won't hurt anything, but it won't help if the problem is algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

ok.. I will lower the PH since I do not have the test kit suggested. Thanks for the tip

16. Back To Top    #16

Please dilute your water sample 50% with distilled water. Your CYA level may be higher than 100, which is the max it can be tested to.

You really don't have a choice but to dilute unless a reverse osmosis service is in in your area.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by kingbink
    I did add 15 lbs of calcium 2 weeks ago as it was low.
    I have a new bottle of algicide should I dmp that in the pool?
    In the vast majority of pool situations algaecide isn't necessary.

What kind of pool is this?

Now would be a good time to create a signature with your pool/equipment specs. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

18. Back To Top    #18

I will update my signature.. great suggestion.

I added 2 gallons of acid and the pool immediately cleared up. I will test it tonight and adjust accordingly. Thanks for all of the help