Pool pilot low flow

Jun 11, 2011
I installed a pool pilot digital about 3wks ago and it was working great until the
other day I got a low flow warning and it stopped producing chlorine. I done all
the checks and found that the metal piece in the tri-sensor that checks flow was only about a 1/4" long and zagged. My chemicals always check good and I check it everyday. Any ideas
what may have happened.

Welcome to TFP!

I'm not sure what "zagged" means, however the tisensor should look like the image on this page. The flow sensor is made of the two longer projections, one a rigid pole with a reed switch and the other a flexible metal strip with a magnet on it. From your description I imagine that one or both of those has broken off. If so, you will need to replace the trisensor.

Can you post a picture?

What may have caused the flow switch arm to break off? It is made of stainless steel, and does not break very easily.
Low pH/acidic conditions. What has your pH level been? Are you dropping trichlor tablets into your skimmer basket?
Excessive flow. We recommend plumbing a bypass assembly if your flow exceeds 100 gpm. Greater than that can cause turbulance around the trisensor which can cause it to flex back and forth too much and break off.

Thanks Sean, i will post my numbers. I did add muratic acid to lower my ta. It was 150 and I got it down to 130. That lowered my ph from 7.5 to 7.2. The poolpilot was installed at this time but not running. I do have a Hayward automatic chlorine feeder installed in line after the poolpilot that Iam
using for backup.

TC-5.0
FC-5.0
PH-7.2
TA-130
CH-230
CYA-80
Salt-3000

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.