Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pilot low flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pilot low flow

I installed a pool pilot digital about 3wks ago and it was working great until the
    other day I got a low flow warning and it stopped producing chlorine. I done all
    the checks and found that the metal piece in the tri-sensor that checks flow was only about a 1/4" long and zagged. My chemicals always check good and I check it everyday. Any ideas
    what may have happened.
    18 X 40, Ig vinyl, 3/4 HP Sta-Rite Pump, Sta-rite System 3 Cartridge Filter, Sta-rite Gas Heater,
    Autopilot Ditigal SWG, Legend Pressure Side Pool Cleaner w/booster pump, TF100 Tester

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pilot low flow

Welcome to TFP!

I'm not sure what "zagged" means, however the tisensor should look like the image on this page. The flow sensor is made of the two longer projections, one a rigid pole with a reed switch and the other a flexible metal strip with a magnet on it. From your description I imagine that one or both of those has broken off. If so, you will need to replace the trisensor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The metal piece is what Im talking about. It seems to have broke off or
    dissolved away. Im not sure what caused this and I don't want it to happen
    again.
    18 X 40, Ig vinyl, 3/4 HP Sta-Rite Pump, Sta-rite System 3 Cartridge Filter, Sta-rite Gas Heater,
    Autopilot Ditigal SWG, Legend Pressure Side Pool Cleaner w/booster pump, TF100 Tester

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry meant jagged not zagged

5. Back To Top    #5

If either the post or the flexible metal strip is broken off you will need to get a new trisensor assembly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you post a picture?

What may have caused the flow switch arm to break off? It is made of stainless steel, and does not break very easily.
    Low pH/acidic conditions. What has your pH level been? Are you dropping trichlor tablets into your skimmer basket?
    Excessive flow. We recommend plumbing a bypass assembly if your flow exceeds 100 gpm. Greater than that can cause turbulance around the trisensor which can cause it to flex back and forth too much and break off.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Sean, i will post my numbers. I did add muratic acid to lower my ta. It was 150 and I got it down to 130. That lowered my ph from 7.5 to 7.2. The poolpilot was installed at this time but not running. I do have a Hayward automatic chlorine feeder installed in line after the poolpilot that Iam
    using for backup.

TC-5.0
    FC-5.0
    PH-7.2
    TA-130
    CH-230
    CYA-80
    Salt-3000