Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High acid demand

1. Back To Top    #1

High acid demand

I had this problem last year and I have it again this year. I have to add 14 oz per day of 29% MA to maintain a PH of 7.5. I usually test at 7:30 AM. The PH reading is 8, I then add 14 oz of acid and 1 hour later I test again and the PH is 7.5. The next morning it's back to 8. The only answer I have for this is that it has been windy. Could the dust blown dirt cause the PH to rise that much?
    I drained the pool over the winter and acid washed it so I'm starting the season with fresh water.
    Test results are:
    FC 3 (I add about 24oz per day after the sun goes down)
    PH 7.5 - 8
    CYA 40 (I used pucks at first to raise the cya, now I use 10% liquid)
    CH 330
    TA 60
    Temp 80*
    Pool Volume 10500 gallons
    Sand Filter

Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High acid demand

Do you have a water feature running? Those aerate the water and can cause ph to rise.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

No, none running at all.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.

4. Back To Top    #4

By any chance is the pump sucking in any air and spitting the air out the returns? Could the floor jets be doing the same thing?

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

5. Back To Top    #5

There's no air being sucked in (no bubbles in return) and the floor jets have been disconnected and sealed, I had broken pipes under the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You probably replace a lot of water out there in AZ. That surely wouldn't account for all of it but what is the pH of your fill water? It might be a contributor.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Fill water PH is 7.7

8. Back To Top    #8

Anything that creates water turbidity will lead to increases in pH. I don't think wind and rain get their share of blame for the problem because they are intermittent in most locales. I get lots of wind and have constantly rising pH, except in the deep part of winter. Wind definitely raises pH. Your sheer descent will contribute to the rise, as well. It's OK to use muriatic acid in consistent doses as long as you monitor it well and don't overshoot your target.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown