Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can't get & keep chlorine levels high enough

1. Back To Top    #1

can't get & keep chlorine levels high enough

I'm new to the BBB method. I just drained & refilled because my CYA levels were sky high (>200) thanks to Leslie's "help". This was only 18 months after draining/refilling because of high calcium (again, thanks Leslie's). I'm still learning the BBB method, but already feel more in control. But I'm having trouble getting the chlorine high enough and keeping it there. I test each evening around 6 and have been having to add acid (between 6-18 oz) and bleach (between 64-90 oz of 6%). The filter then runs until 7. By the morning, the FC levels are low again. Yesterday I added more in the morning, but by the afternoon it is low again. I know that Dallas is very hot & the sun is brutal, but wanted to make sure that I'm doing everything correctly. I plan on using up the Leslie's chlorine 3" tabs in a few weeks when we're on vacation and I can't be there to add bleach everyday. I don't mind adding a lot of bleach every day, but wanted to check. Thanks in advance for your help.

This mornings test:
    FC = 1
    CC = 0
    pH = 7.8
    TA = 90
    CYA = 30
    CH = 140
    Kathyo in Texas
    21k gallon IG gunite w/ spa & waterfall; Waterway filter 817-0106; Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can't get & keep chlorine levels high enough

With CYA at 30 and a 21k gallon pool, I would expect you to use between two quarts and a gallon of 6% bleach per day, depending on how sunny it is. If you raise the CYA level just a little, say to 40 or 50, your bleach usage will go down a bit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Should I continue to add bleach in the evenings? Or in the mornings so the level will be higher when my kids want to swim? Thanks for your help.
    Kathyo in Texas
    21k gallon IG gunite w/ spa & waterfall; Waterway filter 817-0106; Polaris 280 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I choose to test and add chemicals in the morning as I run my pump during the day.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am the opposite, I like to add mine at night so it has the entire evening to sanitize without being eaten up by the sunlight... and I test in the morning.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kathyo
    I test each evening around 6 and have been having to add acid (between 6-18 oz) and bleach (between 64-90 oz of 6%). The filter then runs until 7. By the morning, the FC levels are low again. Yesterday I added more in the morning, but by the afternoon it is low again. This mornings test:
    FC = 1
    CC = 0
    pH = 7.8
    TA = 90
    CYA = 30
    CH = 140
    If your FC is dropping overnight then you might have something using up your chlorine. You might want to perfrom the overnight fc test.
    *EDIT* Here is the link on how to perform the overnight test.
    pool-school/overnight_fc_test
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Is the FAS-DPD test another test kit that I should buy? I have a Taylor K-2005, and don't see anything about FSD-DPD, so should I get a different kit? Does the K-2006 contain what I need to do the overnight fc test? thanks.
    Kathyo in Texas

8. Back To Top    #8

If you have the K-2005 you can add the FAS-DPD as a stand alone kit from tftestkits.net. Look for single item kits. With that, you'll have essentially a K-2006 +.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit