1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical rules?

I have been testing my water at least every 2 days. Today's reading;

FC 1.0 ppm
    CC 1.0 ppm
    pH 7.9 ppm
    TA 70 ppm
    CH 270 ppm

According to the pool calculator I need to add 96 oz of Bleach to raise the FC & CC and 14 oz of Muriatic Acid to bring down the pH.
    My question is how long should you wait before adding MA after adding the Bleach? With a SWG I understand it's OK to leave the cell on when adding bleach but I have read that it is recommended to turn off the cell when adding MA. If I do, then for how long?
    I'm slowing trying to process all this information. I have been keeping a log since day of getting my K-2006 test kit.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical rules?

I think it was just a typo, but CC is something you do not want to raise. Perhaps you meant TC, Total Chlorine. CC is something that you do not want to read above 0.5 or it is time to shock.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

See, I learn something new all the time. I will make a note of that about the CC.

How long should I wait to add MA after adding Bleach? Or should I just shock the pool?
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as you are pouring in front of a return jet with the pump running you don't need to wait very long, a minute or two. Likewise there is no need to turn the SWG off when adding that way. The only time you need to turn the SWG off is when adding salt you turn the SWG off for 24 hours.

Your FC level is too low. You may need to turn up the percentage setting on your SWG. And if CC is still above 0.5 tomorrow you need to shock the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jasoni, I'll add the bleach and MA today and if the CC is still low tomorrow, I'll shock it.
    Now when shocking it, do I need to turn the cell off? Again all this info is being process so hopefully I won't have to ask it again.

6. Back To Top    #6

You don't need to turn the SWG off when shocking, but you do need to turn it off when doing an overnight FC loss test. Having it on when shocking doesn't help very much, so I tend to turn it off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School