Pump placement..

Apr 21, 2010
My pipes coming into the pump/filter area need to be blown up and rebuilt. I have 3 returns and 5 skimmers coming into that "closet" and the valves are all broken, etc..

Anyway - long story short - it would be much better for space purposes if I was able to elevate the pump a few feet. Right now it's at ground level - probably a foot or two above the water level of the pool.

Are there practical height limits for the equipment that I need to consider for this? For instance, can I put a shelf above the heater for the filter (this would give me tons of room) and pipe to it - effectively making the bottom of the DE filter (ec75) 4 feet off of the ground and the top 6 feet or so off the ground? Is that too much to expect of the pump?

To be more clear, I'm not sure of the final design (I may post pics here for your input). But I'm interested first in my limitations before I start considering alternatives. One thing I'm sure of - I can use some more room for the plumbing.

The higher you put the pump above the water level, the more difficult it is to prime but I wouldn't exceed more than 4' above the water. It would be best to place the pump on the lowest point possible and elevate the filter. Any equipment on the pressure side of the pump; filter, heater, etc, can be placed at virtually any height. The pump should have enough head to handle that. Just to be sure:

What is the model # of the pump?

What size plumbing do you have on the suction side (length, # runs, diameter)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.